Cellar Craft CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo (Super Tuscan)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ibglowin said:
1.002 is not dry nor finished. You need to keep it warm for another 7-12 days till it finishes. 0.998 or less. Amarone is a dry wine. The special flavor comes from the fact that the grapes used are dried on racks like a raisin so that concentrates the flavor in the wine. That is why raisins are used in some of the other Italian kits.

Will do, thanks

It is now SG .996. I splash racked to carboy and added Enzyme blend. Gosh this was one messy kit. The grape (jam) super pack was ooey gooey and messy to get in the mesh bag. Squeezing the grape pack squirted wine in various directions including once in my face. Plus that disgusting oil layer on top of the wine. I was careful to leave that behind. There was a considerable amount of sludge (lees), at least 1/2 gallon. Then cleaning the primary bucket was unlike any kit before. Grape particles and sludge stuck to the bottom and sides of the bucket having to be scrubbed off with a substantial brush.

BUT Oh My Gosh!!!!! I tasted a sip and this is absolutely delitious. And I still have oak cubes and spirals to add and several months of bulk aging. How in the world am I going to be able to stay away from this one for the next year or so? Thanks to all of you who have raved about how good this kit is. Now you all know exactly the type of wine I love . . . any similar kit suggestions?

There are several RJ Spagnols Winery Series kits that have grape skin packs. I don't believe they have the jam like the CC Showcase kits. The forum members who have made them are very happy with these kits.

The winery series by RJS uses a very similar "jam" that Cellar Craft Showcase series uses. RJS just puts the jam in a jar rather than a bag. The RJS jam also seems to have a bit less seeds, but that's about it.

Update on this guy. He ended up spending ~2mo in a Vadai barrel. Opened up the first split tonight. In short this is the most commercial quality kit to date. Its only 12mo old at the moment as well! The layers of oak are AMAZING! So glad I added the sawdust French and American Oak up front followed by the Vadai. Right out of the gate the nose on this wine is just delightful. Loads of dark fruit, spice box, hints of vanilla what an amazing combo.....

This will be made again in the next 6-9 months!
smiley31.gif

Sounds great, Mike. It's really good when you find one that you really like.

I didn't think the American oak would come through so pronounced since it was in sawdust form but it certainly did and really has a wonderful nose and finish.

I didn't add any Tancor to any of these but I am definitely going to add a low end dose to a full bottle and let it integrate for a few months. Maybe give it a try around Xmas or Thanksgiving timeframe.

ibglowin said:
I didn't add any Tancor to any of these but I am definitely going to add a low end dose to a full bottle and let it integrate for a few months. Maybe give it a try around Xmas or Thanksgiving timeframe.

Sounds like an interesting idea, Mike. I will look forward to hearing the results.

I made an RF in Sept/09 and my tasting notes indicate an unpleasant tartness at 1 year and again at 19 months. That tartness has mostly gone away now at 23 months and it is becoming an excellent wine. I wonder if the 2 months yours spent in the Vadai made a big difference in early drinkability. I bottled a double batch of the RF Reserve Cuvee a couple of months ago after 3 months in my 40L Vadai and it was outstanding right away, which was 6 months old. I don't plan to drink this one young, as I have a lot of other wines at 18 to 24 months to drink first. It's exciting to have such promising wines aging.

Jim,

Every kit wine I have produced in a Glass carboy has palled in comparison to every kit that has come out of the Vadai. This is my first data point that has come out of the barrel and then had about 6 months of bottle time as well. I was totally shocked at the immediate nose on this one. All the other kits that came out of a glass carboy seem to be really closed when opened and need tons of air time to fully open up. Not this one. The micro ox that a barrel provides does wonders it seems.

Heres hoping your double batch will be just as good!
smiley20.gif

I am confident the RF won't disappoint. I have real high expectations for the WE SE Sonoma Pinot which is half way through a 5 month ride in my nearly neutral barrel and also the RMC which is half way through a 3 month ride in the newer barrel. Huge wine party at my house in 2014!
smiley31.gif

Jim, we'll be needing your address in Lake Tahoe for that party.
smiley20.gif

So the party will be on your houseboat . . . how fun!

Here is the nearest google earth image of that location. The flag must be on the back of your boat?
20110829_160229_3329977.jpg

No boat. I've never even owned one! Didn't think y'all were going to be so exacting.

This is a little more accurate:

N39.25, W119.94</span>

Back