Cellar Craft CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo (Super Tuscan)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Picked this guy up last month during the Italian varietals sale.

Trying to get enough reds lined up in succession to keep the new Vadai full for a while. This of course includes the 1.5L Grape pack that all the Showcase reds have these days. Very fresh product (as usual) from George. Only 3 months from DOM. All new package/instruction insert from CC. Has the Enzyme pack. Mixed things up on Sunday 9/19/10 and pitched the yeast. Starting SG was a little low but not too bad of 1.096.This guy comes with 40gms French oak sawdust and 40 gms American oak sawdust which I did put in.

Previous Showcase kits with sawdust only did not provide much oak flavor so into the Vadai it will go for a quick rotation so as not to over oak it.

A little slow out of the gates to take off but this AM I walked into the winery and was hit with that nice aroma of yeast and fermenting sweet grape juice that is sooooo addicting. It really heated up overnight. Went from 74 to 78 in like 8 hours. I am using this nice steel punch down tool I bought to use on my fresh grapes to punch down that grape pack and squeeze the bejeebies out of those skins. Much better than the side of the plastic spoon I had been using!

Will keep you posted as thing progress of course but I want to compare this guy to the RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan so look for that one down the road!
smiley17.gif

Pics after the break of course!

20100921_093105_DSC02734.jpg

20100921_093119_DSC02735.jpg

20100921_093131_DSC02737.jpg

Well - that certainly looks good and familiar. I have that one in secondary right now. Mine still had old instructions, but its working fine. I also had a slow start and it took nearly two full days until it took off. I kept mine on skins for about 9 days and it was nearly finished by then. I also noticed my SG as about 1.092 and I expected higher. I've read that if you mix the grape pack very well it goes to 1.1 or higher. Either way its very nice smelling and a great kit from what I can see and smell.

Hey guys -Are what temperature are you doing these at??

That's a great picture of the box on the barrel. I'd use that for the label.

By the way all, if you crush your own grapes, freeze some must in a ziptop bag. Then, whenever you have a kit you can add your own "crushed grape pack" to the must. It does make a difference. I had a couple of the cheaper kits and it does kick it up a notch!!!

good luck

rrawhide

I bought 3 - - $58 kits and used the grape packs in all. Really made a difference.

rrawhide

My Rosso Fortissimo is 1 year old tomorrow. I decided to try it tonight since we are going out to dinner tomorrow. Unreal! I really liked the CC Red Mountain Cab at 1 year, and the Quartet Syrah. But the Rosso Fortissimo is noticeably better. Good nose, lots of tannins, great finish and no KT. SWMMBO thought it was outstanding also.

This really is a great kit! Get ready to be impressed!!!

I have had this in my wish list for some time now. Description says "Super-Tuscan styled wine vinted from Cabernet Sauvignon,Merlot, Sangiovese and other native Italian varieties". Does that mean juice sourced from Italy or Italian varieties grown in California, Washington, or wherever?

When will the madness end? More juice, larger grape packs?

I just can't take the pressure anymore..............
smiley36.gif

Moved this guy out of Primary a few days ago. SG was 1.000. He is still bubbling away happily as of today.

I gave him a new name!

20100929_153446_DSC02763.jpg

Wow! Looks great! I've GOT to make a super tuscan. It's ironic that I drink S.T.'s all the time but haven't made one. That's got to change!

Yea, A good one is a special treat for sure. Its got all 3 (usually and sometimes more) of my favorite grapes. Cabernet, Merlot, Sangiovese.....
smiley31.gif

I think I will snag the RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan next time its on sale just to compare and contrast with this one. Have never made an RJS kit and we have quite a few members that really rave on the Winery Series.

So that tells me I will need to make one of each in order to make a "proper determination".
smiley14.gif

Got'a do it right.

You guys aren't really that nerdy, are you?

If you find yourself typing or saying the phrase "population for statistical analysis" and you're not getting paid to use it, you are not drinking enough wine.

Back