Cellar Craft CC California Reserve Merlot

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vince

Reaction score
Fed-Ex just dropped off my California Reserve Merlot, thank you George. Can't wait to open it up and play.
I'm finding it very difficult to complete my day at work . . .

My CC Merlot is fermenting well now. Stirred in the am before work and after work already today, maybe I'll just sit and stare at it all with googly eyes for a while. Starting SG was 1.085. I'll post a SG back here on Thursday.

I've got 2 other kits just finishing up in the fermenters now and I'm planning on starting this one on Saturday. I see it is a Silver medal winner - wahoo!

I started the same kit last Friday. Racking to secondary this afternoon. Smells REALLY good already. I'm considering adding some more oak during secondary though. That little light toast pack they gave me with the kit just doesn't seem like it's going to be enough. Hmmmm......

I'm thinking about 3 oz of dark toast American during secondary. Sound about right?

Okay, just racked and added all the fining stuff. Smells REALLY good. I had the added oak during the secondary and now I wonder if I should put a little more in during fining. I guess I'll taste it in a couple of days and decide then. One question though. What is the ideal temperature for this step of the process for a Merlot? Should I put it in the basement (55-60 degrees) or keep it upstairs where it's warm? I know the warmer temps will help it to clear but the lower might help with any tartaric crystals. Any suggestions?

Hi millzy64,

I'd leave it at room temp so you'll get better oak extraction and better sense of flavor when you test it daily. The cooler temperatures will mask flavor andaromas unless you let your glass warm up a bit. As far as thetartaric crystals go,cooler temperatures (40 and lower) and a longer (few weeks)stay willget those to drop so make them seperate processes from the finings and oak additions. I would try to get the finings and oak out of the way until you are happy withthem and thencold stabilize the wine. Don't wait too long, spring is around the corner. :) I have the same kit, very pleased with it thus far also. George's reccomendation, thank you George!

If this is a 12 liter kit I dont think there will be a need to do any cold stabilization, if its the bigger kit then it might be a good idea.

So I started this kit 2 months back on January 6th and just tasted it. It is very good, full and fruity with a little oak. I was suprised at how much body it has for being so young. I'll definitely do another cellar craft kits with a grape pack again. Just which varietal?

We filtered and bottled our kit a couple of weekends ago. It is amazing. It was so clear that the filtering probably wasn't necessary but I just ran it through the coarse filter for good measure. We added 3oz of dark American oak while it was clearing and it was just right. I agree with Vince, an amazing body and nice long finish for a 5 week old wine. It's going to be hard to let it rest! We did a CC Old Vine Zin with the grape pack last fall and it is fantastic. If you like the reds, you might want to try that one next.

I am ready to bottle this wine after 3 months ageing in the carboy. This wine is very clear after fining and the taste is excellent. I agree, this one will be hard to let age. It should get better and better. Very complex for a 12 liter kit.

John

Not to mention the 3 kits waiting their turn and 1 more coming today.

"My name is Jim Wilbur, I am a kit-wine-oholic!"

v1rotate said:
Not to mention the 3 kits waiting their turn and 1 more coming today.

"My name is Jim Wilbur, I am a kit-wine-oholic!"

You need to get more carboys NOW ! ! !

Latest posts

Back