Care to share some skeeter pee reviews?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honkey

Reaction score
I am still having trouble imagining what skeeter pee tastes like. I see so many people say that it is good, but no one has described if it tastes like lemonade, something completely different, if there is a strong alcohol taste or if it is well hidden, etc. Anybody care to share tasting reviews of their skeeter pee? I would also be curious to see reviews if you have done a variation on skeeter pee (I saw some people have added blueberries, cranberries, etc.) It would be cool to see descriptions and notes on what you did differently (if anything) and what you thought of it. I hope I am not getting too hyped up about this, but if it is as good as everyone says, than I may have found the perfect drink for sharing with my mom (she doesn't drink beer).

Yes, it's lemony. It tastes like lemonade, but there are also the qualities that the fermentation leaves behind, much like a wine. How much you sweeten it will make a difference on the final taste. In my opinion, the alcohol doesn't jump out at you so as much as adding vodka to lemonade would.

I agree with Lon above. It does taste like lemonaide but it has that wine quality taste. I have left mine so that it has a tang to it, and I have made it sweeter for other people. I like it both ways. I would be willing to bet if you like lemonaide and you like wine you will like SP. If you use a slurry to make it then it sometimes has a hint of that wine along with the lemon so if you pick one that goes with lemon it would be extra nice. You can also add other juices to add different flavors like Lime etc.. It is a very versitile recpie.. :d Good luck!

i am going to "f-pack" mine with 2-3 cans of Welch's white grape/raspberry concentrate.
And cut down the 6 cups of sugar at the end accordingly.

All this is of course subject to taste tests along the way. :d

I have made TWO batches, I from pomagranite (3/4 of a gallon of pom wine with slurry as not enought to make a pom wine) and one with NO slurry at all just sugar starter. The plain sugar starter one is MUCH better.

i did use the slurry off of a gallon of Welch's White Grape/Raspberry (3 cans of concentrate) made special for the Pee. It might actually be good with a can to f-pack it (maybe less than a full can).

I made sp using a slurry from, blackberry, elderberry (a lot of these) and raspberry. They all had a faint hint of the fruit that was in the slurry then ends with a lemon taste. There is hardly any alcohol taste, just a nice wine taste, LOL, this is why you here of people drinking more than they should, the alcohol sneaks up on you.

I made some using a yeast starter from red muscadines. It has a lemon taste with a muscadine flavor on the back end. Excellent! I also have one going now that was made with a slurry from scuppernongs and another one with apples and figs. My next batch will be green apple / raspberry that I'm going to start this weekend.

You don't really taste the alcohol in this. But you better watch out! It's much stronger than the hard lemon drinks you can buy. It will slam you in quick order. Gooooooooooooood Stuff!

Made mine with a pineapple wine concentrate. In clearing stage now, and simply tastes like lemon juice (it fermented dry @ around 10% ABV). I imagine it will taste like lemonade after backsweetening. I detect no alcohol flavors/mouth feels at all.

Also doesn't taste like pineapple. ;)

imagine for a moment that you are a giant fruit loving mosquito... you find a lemon that has fallen from a lemon tree a few days prior and sat out in the warm summer sun. now imagine that you stick your needle nose sucker thing into the lemon and drink the fermented lemon. that's exactly what it tastes like. btw, I'm having a glass or two now.

:d

Thanks for the input. I can't wait to make my first skeeter pee... Hopefully going to get started next week.

I have made TWO batches, I from pomagranite (3/4 of a gallon of pom wine with slurry as not enought to make a pom wine) and one with NO slurry at all just sugar starter. The plain sugar starter one is MUCH better.

BigBend sorry for the dumb question but do you mean you just followed the skeeterpee recipe without using any slurry at all? I don't have any slurry right now and am wondering about doing it that way if it works.

Catfish, you do not need a wine slurry you can start it with any slurry. I have used sweetened fruit juice and made my own from some dryed malt and some water. I have tried it with slurry also and find they all work great. The whole idea is to get the yeasties working real good before you drop them into the acidic lemon juice.

BigBend sorry for the dumb question but do you mean you just followed the skeeterpee recipe without using any slurry at all? I don't have any slurry right now and am wondering about doing it that way if it works.

You don't have to use slurry. Lalvin 1118 works fine, just be sure to make a hearty starter.

I made mine with just sugar, water and Côte des Blancs yeast and waited for a good working yeast than added 1/4 bottle of lemon juice, waited half a day to make sure it was going again, than added another 1/4 bottle the next morning added 1/2 bottle of lemon and that evening added the other half. Waited overnight and than the second day made the rest of the batch. Holding off on the third bottle of lemon.I didn't want to shock the starter with TOO much lemon at once.

I made mine with just sugar, water and Côte des Blancs yeast and waited for a good working yeast than added 1/4 bottle of lemon juice, waited half a day to make sure it was going again, than added another 1/4 bottle the next morning added 1/2 bottle of lemon and that evening added the other half. Waited overnight and than the second day made the rest of the batch. Holding off on the third bottle of lemon.I didn't want to shock the starter with TOO much lemon at once.

That's a good idea, I think I'm going to try that next time.

Made my first batch last year in march from a sauvignon blanc slurry and it was great and went real quick.I now have a batch i made just before the fall crush from fresh peach slurry and this batch is outstanding people crave it.Thank you again Lon.

Make sure you get another batch started right away. Think you will find it disappears rather quickly. Then you sit there wondering why you did not make some more when you had the chance. Seems to take a lot of the stuff, maybe I just have too many friends. Most people say never had something taste like that from the store and then grab another bottle. If you don't have a slurry, make a starter for the yeast and get er goin. Arne.

It's true this stuff sneaks up on you... Because the one batch I made I made the mistake of drinking it like water. I drank about 64oz maybe more in under two hours... Felt fine but then I started rolling on the floor like dog with my head on up again doorway.. True story drink this stuff slow or you will be spinning hard before you know what hit ya.

I am also curious to know what Lon's Pee taste like or everyone else who makes it just to see if mine is what it's suppose to taste like. I am very curious if mine taste like all the others but I have to admit my first attempt at making skeeter pee was the best, I had to dump the next batch and now I'm on another batch but it still doesn't seem like the first one I made.. Not sure why I get different results with each batch.

I would have to recommend to use always use Realime and no generic because the generic just doesn't taste right in my experience.

Latest posts

Back