carboy count?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZippoGeek

Junior
Reaction score
"The waiting is the hardest part" --Tom Petty

I don't know about you all, but I'm getting sick of just watching my wine. :ft Ran to the LHBS today to get another carboy, in the interest of speeding things up! :r Just curious...how many carboys have you got in service?

I don't know about you all, but I'm getting sick of just watching my wine. :ft Ran to the LHBS today to get another carboy, in the interest of speeding things up! :r Just curious...how many carboys have you got in service?

Forty Four full ones currently, hoping to empty 20 of them tomorrow, probably 60 total in the cellar.

Just curious...how many carboys have you got in service?

I have a few less, but not many. I have 32 carboys (just counting 5 and 6 gallon ones) right now 20 are full. We just bottled some and decided not to do any Chilean nice this spring, so we won't fill up more than a few during summer. Might bottle some.

Happens to all of us. ;)

Zippo, I have 4. I don't really have room for many more, so I will probably stay with that.

When you have so few carboys, there is a tension between letting the wine age in bulk, and wine production. I have settled on a system where, with 4 carboys, I can start one kit per month, bottle it about 110 days after pitching yeast, and still have an empty carboy available for racking out of secondary and racking after clearing. Accordingly, I bulk-age the wine for about 3 months in the carboy, and then about 18 months in the bottle.

I have a spreadsheet where I worked out the racking schedule for this system. PM me if you want a copy.

Wow, I thought my counts were getting up there but apparently I can feel guilt free in acquiring some more! :)
I'm currently at 9-6 gal 6-5 gal 3-3 gal and 14-1 gal.

Forty Four full ones currently, hoping to empty 20 of them tomorrow, probably 60 total in the cellar.

You must really bulk age a long time since you must have some in the carboy over a year. 44 x 5 (and I am sure some are 6) would mean you have 220 gallons bulk aging. Maybe a bunch of them are gallons to keep you under your legal production limit.

You must really bulk age a long time since you must have some in the carboy over a year. 44 x 5 (and I am sure some are 6) would mean you have 220 gallons bulk aging. Maybe a bunch of them are gallons to keep you under your legal production limit.

Grapeman, some of the wines are over two years old. I never bottle a red the first year. what I will be bottling today is 2013 Chilean now one year old.
I don't count 1 gallon jugs as carboys

7-6 gallon, 2-5 gallon, 3-3 gallon, and 4-1 gallon. Plus 2-6 gallon Vadai barrels.

6 months ago, I said I was done obtaining carboys. I just bought one a few weeks ago. :i

6- 5gal, 3- 3 gal, 16- 1 gal, 1- 1.8gal. Plus an empty poland spring bottle for rackings when I have everything full!! All full untill two days ago. Bottled 12 galeons. I have been known to put my buckets and the poland spring bottle in use for a few days. Mostly untill I can empty out a carboy or find room for a new one!
Some of the one galleons contain five galleon batches bulk aging. That way my big jugs deal with the bulk of the sedament droping. And alow more wine to be made in bulk. These one galleon jugs were gleaned from old farm houses. Some of them are older then I am! Free is good:)

Glad to know I don't have as many as some of you do!!! I was afraid I may be turning into a drunk:)

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

how many carboys do I have? Not enough!!! Never enough! Especially since I tend to age in the carboys

14 glass and 4 plastic. All are full except for one glass one that I use to rack to. I have started looking for more, luckily garage sale season is around the corner!

Wow! I feel like a poser in this group. I have 4- 6 gallon, 1- 6.5 gallon and 1- 5 gallon. Then again I'm the only one who drinks it in my house. I give away or share around 100 bottles a year. May have to step up my inventory or risk being expelled as a lurker

I think I'm the lowest count so far. I have 2 6 gallon 1 3 gallon and 3 1 gallon. I had I 5 gal glass but found several cracks so it's been retired

I think I'm the lowest count so far. I have 2 6 gallon 1 3 gallon and 3 1 gallon. I had I 5 gal glass but found several cracks so it's been retired

Got ya beat, haha. One 6 gallon, two 5 gallon, and one 3 gallon. In all fairness I was pretty much a beer brewer only until last week.

EDIT: But I do have one more gallon of capacity.

Back