Carbon dioxide still present after degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefrommichigan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I started a Win Expert Chardonnay approx. 2 month ago. I degassed for approx 10 - 15 mins using a wine whip and drill. It looked like all the bubbles had stopped rising at the time. I have also racked several times. I went to bottle the wine yesterday and noticed that there was still a lot of gas in the wine, so I stopped filling the bottles. I have an allinone wine pump and racked the wine again 4 times to remove more carbon dioxide, but there were still bubbles rising. Should I degass again or just leave the wine in the carboy to degas over time?
I would prefer to bottle at this time than leave in the carboy.

Thanks
Mike

IMHO The idea is to get rid of most of the co2, not all the co2. Even commercial wine will produce bubbles if you shake it. With all the degassing you have done you should be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I will check it again in a couple of weeks or so and then decide whether to bottle or not.

Steve, How do I know if it is going thru malolactic fermentation?

THanks

Mike,

Degassing will proceed much more effectively if your wine is above 70 F. I recommend warming it to 72 or 75 F, if you have not already, and trying degassing again.

Hi everyone,
I degassed for approx 10 - 15 mins using a wine whip and drill.

I was told that if you degassed with a drill for more than a few minutes (2-4), you risk introducing O2. When I used the drill, I would go forward until the top of the wine in the carboy started to move, then I would reverse. I figured the kinetic turbulence below the surface would help the CO2 to come of out solution, and the lack of surface action would minimize the introduction of O2.

But, since you have the allinone, get the splashing adapter, and retire the wine whip. Degassing under vacuum will minimize the amount of O2 in contact with the wine.

Since you are making a white wine (tend to drink whites earlier than reds), you need to degass in order for the fining agents to work. Degass, add fining agents, time for clearing, then bottling.

When I make a red, I skip the fining agents (including bentonite at the beginning), and let bulk aging take care of degassing and clarifying.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
I started a Win Expert Chardonnay approx. 2 month ago. I degassed for approx 10 - 15 mins using a wine whip and drill. It looked like all the bubbles had stopped rising at the time. I have also racked several times. I went to bottle the wine yesterday and noticed that there was still a lot of gas in the wine, so I stopped filling the bottles. I have an allinone wine pump and racked the wine again 4 times to remove more carbon dioxide, but there were still bubbles rising. Should I degass again or just leave the wine in the carboy to degas over time?
I would prefer to bottle at this time than leave in the carboy.

Thanks
Mike

I have had the exact same issue making Kit wine and using an AIO pump.
which can be read about here (http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f5/when-corks-pop-off-45239/ )
My bottles still have bubbles when I shake them, even after putting them back into a carboy and racking back and forth numerous times and stirring to degass.

I could be incorrect, but there will always be some amount of gass in your wine, but if the corks dont pop when you uncork them, then it aint that bad.

I find that when bottling with the AIO, if I fill too fast and then subsequently stopp filling too fast, I get bubble in the bottle.

I usually rack from one carboy to another, a few times if I am about to bottle and I feel it is not degassed enough (and time is not on your side).

And someone correct me if I am wrong, but kit wines usually dont spontaneously go thru MLF.

I am just now reading this post -
I will let my wine warm up a bit prior to bottling and degassing - and I always use #9 corks x 1.75 and then they get put in the cellar at a lower temperature when bottled. This causes even more vacuum in the bottle - due to the liquid will cool off and lower a bit.

As for bottling with the Allinonewinepump - I know you cannot add CO2 to your wine as you bottle with it. You can if you don't release the vacuum a bit while bottling - you will see some agitation of the wine - mainly only at the top of the bottle.

Thanks everyone. The temperature in my wine making room is approx 72 deg, so I will leave the wine a couple of more weeks and then rack a few times with the allinone and then bottle.

I have debased using a wip and it typically takes me 30 to 45 minutes. After you degas you should add the potassium metabisulfite. This will drive the oxygen out and help preserve the wine. And yes, you want to avoid a vortex when degassing. The whip helps prevent this but you still need to reverse the drill or at least manually rotate the drill in a large circle going in the opposite direction as the whip. What I do is, after a while, I push the bung for the whip into the carboy and fill it with my spray bottle of EZ Clean. When you hit the drill for about 10 seconds then stop look for air bubbles coming out between the shaft of the whip and the bung hole. (Beavis and Buthead fans just let this one slide please). When there are only a few bubbles I'm done.

Back