Candy Cane wine Recipes (Julies)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put my brew belt on it, and after about two days, it started to ferment again....slowly. I'll take a reading tonight and let you know what it reads.
The brew belt brought the temp. up to 68F.

My brew belt has been on the whole time, keeping it between 74 and 76. Should I go ahead and transfer to secondary or wait till it goes down some?

Are you two sure on the reading. Do you mean 1.010?

Showgirl are you stirring it?

Have you gotten that reading once or on several different readings? If you have had that reading consecutively for the last week I would treat this as a stuck fermentation.

No nutrient, but yes add some energizer, 1/2 tsp per gallon.

Ok, thanks for all your help! I read it might take 2-3 days to start up again, is that right?

Well the candy cane has finally been backsweetened. Now i'm just waiting for it to clear again. I am thinking I may have to use an extract also, but tastes pretty darn good so far. :D Thanks for the recipe and the help Julie!!

Cool, ...I need to check mine this weekend. Haven't looked at it in a month.
Got my Watkins extract and my Chocolate...ready to finish the batch, an bottle in a couple weeks.

Julie,
How did you add your Chocolate to the wine??
Was it melted and then added. Mine is sitting on the bottom, with an oil slick on top. It appears to be not doing much of anything!
Thanks

Did you use Lindt's 85% dark chocolate? Mine did sit on the bottom but I don't remember having an oil slick on top. I would give it a stir bout every third day and left it in for about 6 weeks.

I used a chunk of dark chocolate we picked up at an upscale Farm Market. I chopped it up and threw it in. Next time I'll look for the % dark chocolate.
It's been in there about 4 weeks already. I actually didn't know what to expect, but I was hoping it was going to dissolve. :D
So in a couple more weeks I should just rack it off the left overs? (depending on the taste)

Please use ounces when giving candy cane recipes. Also,The smaller the canes, the more the color.
My 3 gallon batch used 72 oz canes. An 11 oz can of Welches White Grape, 5 t nutrient, 2 t. acid blend, 2 t. energizer 2 t. pectic enzyme. Sugar to SG 1.095.
I used Sparkolloid to clear. Came out to 10.5% abv.
And yes, I have canes for 2 more batches!!!

Why did you use so much more nutrient, energizer and pectic?
And why only 1 can of Welch's as opposed to 6?
Just trying to figure out the differences and reasons between yours and Julie's recipes.
Thanks.

Here's Julie's recipe from last year:

For a 3gallon batch:
54 candy canes
1/8 peptic enzyme
6 cans Welch's white grape concentrate
1 tsp nutrient
1 tsp energizer
1 banana

I started with an sg of 1.084, acid .60%, after it ferments to dry, stabilize and taste,there really wasn't much in the way of taste so I use about a tablespoon of McCormicks peppermint but I have found Watkins peppermint at Walmart, this is a natural extract so use this if you can find it. Start with a tsp of peppermint, taste and add more to your liking, then backsweeten, I used 24 candy canes (this will also bring out a nice pick color) and one bottle of corn syrup (corn syrup gives it a real nice mouth feel), final gravity was 1.032 BUT I added Ghirardelli 80% chococate, 2 pkgs, should be 7 oz. for 2 months., rack, let it clear and bottle.

Peppermint Patty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is the 54 candy canes the regular size canes? The 24 used for backsweetening is in addition to the 54 or included I the 54. Figure if I could get my grown up stuff done today I would start some for next Christmas. Thanks.

shelley, add as many candy canes you need to get sg to 1.080. It is regular size candy canes and yes the 24 was in addition to the 54, again I want to say 54 is how many I used to get an sg of 1.084. And freeze them first, the wrapping comes off easier if you freeze them.

Is the banana just chunked up, peels and all and put in the primary or is it put in a mesh bag, peels and all?

Back