Candy Cane wine Recipes (Julies)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reefman

Reaction score
OK, I bought my candy canes 50% off, now who has a candy cane recipe that turned out great?
I've read amny of the old threads, and I only see one (Julies) that even sounds good.
I've also read comments about others turning out great toilet bowl cleaner.

So is Julie's recipe the only good one?

Julie, Does it need Tweaking?

Last edited:
the only thing I would say is when adding the peppermint extract, taste it to see if you have it where you want it. The peppermint should come very well then finish with a chocolate finish, that is if you are adding the chocolate.

Thanks Julie,
The Chocolate is definitly being added. I'm starting tonight.
I hear unwrapping the candy canes is the hardest job. :h

it is, if you can throw them in the freezer for awhile that helps and have a bowl of water to dip your hands in now and then to take the static electricity out of them. And remember watch your sg, adding too many canes can really jack the sg up.

thanks for the tips. I'll let you know how I make out.
Do you boil the candy canes and the banana together?

could you please share the candy cane wine recipe?? couldn't seem to find it doing a search..thanks

could you please share the candy cane wine recipe?? couldn't seem to find it doing a search..thanks

Here's Julie's recipe from last year:

For a 3gallon batch:
54 candy canes
1/8 peptic enzyme
6 cans Welch's white grape concentrate
1 tsp nutrient
1 tsp energizer
1 banana

I started with an sg of 1.084, acid .60%, after it ferments to dry, stabilize and taste,there really wasn't much in the way of taste so I use about a tablespoon of McCormicks peppermint but I have found Watkins peppermint at Walmart, this is a natural extract so use this if you can find it. Start with a tsp of peppermint, taste and add more to your liking, then backsweeten, I used 24 candy canes (this will also bring out a nice pick color) and one bottle of corn syrup (corn syrup gives it a real nice mouth feel), final gravity was 1.032 BUT I added Ghirardelli 80% chococate, 2 pkgs, should be 7 oz. for 2 months., rack, let it clear and bottle.

Peppermint Patty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For those making Candy Cane wine. When we made it a few years ago we were able to wait walmart out until the canes went down to 10 cents for a box of 12. I can't even remember how many I bought but I filled a six gallon pail up half way with candy canes. YES the worst part was unwrapping them. The second worst part was, ahh never mind I don't want to discourage anyone.

I swore I would never make another goofy wine again and then someone pops up with a Skittle Wine. Now that was pretty darn good if you love skittles.

I bought candy canes yesterday as well. I figured I'd give it a shot ;)

But I have some questions...

1) This is probably implied, but for your 3 gal batch, do you dissolve the canes in water and/or the juice concentrate then top up with water to the 3 gallon mark? I'm actually planning to make 6 gals since that's the only size carboy I have so I assumed I would double all the ingredients and then top up to 6gal.

2) Any suggestions on what yeast to use?

3) Should I use a particular clearing agent or just whatever I have (usually super clear or sparkolloid)... Or is a clearing agent unnecessary?

Any suggestions appreciated. Happy New Year!!

Reefman, no I add the banana to the must after the canes have been melted.

NashChic, I melted the canes in water. And use Lavlin 1118. My first batach did not need any clearing agent, cleared very nicely on its own, this last batch I did have to add superklear and that worked very well to clear it.

Please use ounces when giving candy cane recipes. Also,The smaller the canes, the more the color.
My 3 gallon batch used 72 oz canes. An 11 oz can of Welches White Grape, 5 t nutrient, 2 t. acid blend, 2 t. energizer 2 t. pectic enzyme. Sugar to SG 1.095.
I used Sparkolloid to clear. Came out to 10.5% abv.
And yes, I have canes for 2 more batches!!!

My candy cane fermentation stopped dead at 1.100...maybe slightly less...1.008, and it's been there for over a month now. It started at about 1.080. My winery temperature is averaging 61-62 F for the past couple months.
Not sure why I can't get to 1.000 or less.
I used Lavin EC 1118 yeast, does it have any issues at my temps?

Please use ounces when giving candy cane recipes. Also,The smaller the canes, the more the color.
My 3 gallon batch used 72 oz canes. An 11 oz can of Welches White Grape, 5 t nutrient, 2 t. acid blend, 2 t. energizer 2 t. pectic enzyme. Sugar to SG 1.095.
I used Sparkolloid to clear. Came out to 10.5% abv.
And yes, I have canes for 2 more batches!!!

Barryjo,
I agree with you. I'll weigh my candy canes and post my recipe by weight of candy canes, instead of number. I have three different sizes of candy canes.

it's looking good right now. It's finished fermentng, and I racked it about 10 days ago, added sulfite and Potas. sorbate...and it's clearing nicely...still a ways to go, but it's progressing. I didn't add a clearing agent yet, and I won't need to if it continues to clear.

Just tried Julies Candy Cane batch, has a nice hint of chocolate in it. I'm going this route with mine now that I've tasted the results.

I just started mine today, using Julie's recipe. Can't wait to see how it does, I love candy canes :D

My candy cane fermentation stopped dead at 1.100...maybe slightly less...1.008, and it's been there for over a month now. It started at about 1.080. My winery temperature is averaging 61-62 F for the past couple months.
Not sure why I can't get to 1.000 or less.
I used Lavin EC 1118 yeast, does it have any issues at my temps?

Mine has done the same thing. It is still in primary and am going to transfer, but has been at 1.100 for about 4 days now. How did you get yours down?

Latest posts

Back