Candy Cane wine Recipes (Julies)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why did you use so much more nutrient, energizer and pectic?
And why only 1 can of Welch's as opposed to 6?
Just trying to figure out the differences and reasons between yours and Julie's recipes.
Thanks.

I used a recipe I found online. Will try to relocate. Full disclosure. I use a recipe for almost everything. Including Rhoades Frozen bread dough!!!!
Having said that, I have been known to tweek a recipe now and then. Like adding sugar to an Island Mist kit. Or Lon's Skeeter pee.:)

Why did you use so much more nutrient, energizer and pectic?
And why only 1 can of Welch's as opposed to 6?
Just trying to figure out the differences and reasons between yours and Julie's recipes.
Thanks.

This took some digging but I found the original one I used. The original thread started on 1-25-09 by kat777. On winemaking talk.
www.winemakingtalk.com/f2/candy-cane-wine-recipe-2688/index2.html
Don't recall why I used the one can of grape. But the 5 t nutrient is explained. If I recall, this wine needs plenty of time to mature. Start now for next year!
Happy New Year all!!!!:db

I transferred my Candy Cane to secondary. It sort of looks like pepto :) ImageUploadedByWine Making1388779207.634610.jpg

This took some digging but I found the original one I used. The original thread started on 1-25-09 by kat777. On winemaking talk.
www.winemakingtalk.com/f2/candy-cane-wine-recipe-2688/index2.html
Don't recall why I used the one can of grape. But the 5 t nutrient is explained. If I recall, this wine needs plenty of time to mature. Start now for next year!
Happy New Year all!!!!:db

Thanks for digging that up. Not sure that I am going to make this one as the reference earlier to it being like "peppermint schnapps" kind of turned me off. Can't stand that stuff. I will see as most all the candy canes around here are gone.
May have to start the chocolate covered cherry one instead. I stocked up on those after Christmas.

WOW!!! Does my wine room smell wonderful. I started a batch of CC last week and it is roaring. Used 70 ounces of canes (leftovers from last year!) and 5 tsp of nutrient. Also threw in some energizer.
I had forgotten that canes use peppermint OIL for flavoring. Now all the utensils and anything else the wine touches needs to be cleaned with soap and water. But it will be worth it.

Started my batch on 24 December 2013, had an OG of 1.084 temp 74, transferred late to secondary at 1.001 on 3 January 2014 with a temp of 72. Checked it today and it has an SG of 1.001 with a temp of 72. Should I be looking to go lower or consider it finished?

If I remember correctly, my batch didn't go below 1.000 either. I'll check my notes when I get home tonight to be sure.

Well, it that time if year again when the candy canes are on sale...I was on the lookout for them but my mom beat me to the store. ImageUploadedByWine Making1421018859.082277.jpg

I think I'll have enough to make a couple batches x.X

Please use ounces when giving candy cane recipes. Also,The smaller the canes, the more the color.
My 3 gallon batch used 72 oz canes. An 11 oz can of Welches White Grape, 5 t nutrient, 2 t. acid blend, 2 t. energizer 2 t. pectic enzyme. Sugar to SG 1.095.
I used Sparkolloid to clear. Came out to 10.5% abv.
And yes, I have canes for 2 more batches!!!

OK,

I tried hard not to kid about this, but all of you know me by now. You know that I can't resist..

Here is my question...

Do you use the canes to mask the taste of fermented Welch's or do you use the Welch's to mask the taste of fermented candy canes?

Gee, JohnT, that question is very hard to answer. I believe the best answer is you need to make a batch yourself and decide which way it is :h

OK,

I tried hard not to kid about this, but all of you know me by now. You know that I can't resist..

Here is my question...

Do you use the canes to mask the taste of fermented Welch's or do you use the Welch's to mask the taste of fermented candy canes?

So, John. What do you have against Mogan David??
Just kidding. I used the white grape to give it a bit more body. I don't really taste the grapes. And the frozen is much more convenient than chopping 2# of raisins!

Back