Candy Cane wine Recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Tom and the DiVinci I imagine helps add body also. Is that correct.

Rick, I would start looking for some of this now if you can.

Rick, That is what I used and it is very tasty. I had a few friends taste it for me now I have to put them on my Christmas list! :slp

Thanks and I found it yesterday and bought two bottles just in case.

Thanks Tom and the DiVinci I imagine helps add body also. Is that correct.

Rick, I would start looking for some of this now if you can.

Now I used the UNsweetened kind. You can get sweetened or UNsweetened where I get mine. In fact Friday I went to my restuarent supply and got Amaretto, Blueberry and Strawberry

My Sams Club has "some" in the coffeee isle.

Dang Tom, I asked about these unsweetened ones a few years ago and everyone talked me out of them. Walkers sells and uses the unsweetened ones also so you don't have to add sorbate. So you're liking them?

Ok, I'm bumping this up, there was a handful of us who made this within the past year. I know Tom has his bottled and loving it, Runningwolf was not thrilled with his. I added chocolate to mine and just had a sip this evening. Pepperment is very good with a taste of chocolate. I think the choclate could be stronger but even the way it is, it was very tasty. I havent' bottled it yet, probably in Sept sometime. So how did very one's come out?

I am still tweaking mine. Racked it off the chocolate and added a bottle of Di Vinci Peppermint syrup. Tomorrow I am going to add 3 cans of frozen apple concentrate. I may add some ever clear. Not sure yet.

I may seriously have to try making the Candy Cane wine this year after Christmas. I didn't make it last year.

Gee, I thought you did, maybe it was Steve who did. Yes you need to do this Doug, you will like it.

Mine was started only a month ago and had been racked to the secondary. It sure smells good.

I bought the candy canes back in January, but never made the wine. Might give it a try now that others have posted their success.

I bought the candy canes back in January, but never made the wine. Might give it a try now that others have posted their success.

my wife just asked me the other day if i was going to use them for wine or if we were going to give them away at Halloween. LOL.

step by step

After reading 20 pages of posts on making candy cane wine, can someone PLEASE give me the step by step process (and ingredient list) for making a batch of candy cane wine? After reading different people's posts, my head is spinning and I don't have a clue as to add the candy canes or the extract.

Thanks!!

Also, if anyone made flavors other than the traditional peppermint, if they could post pics, that would be nice.
Please and Thank You. :r

I have 240 blueberry canes ready to go.
i was gonna try to do a 6 gallons and use all of them. That's 40 per gallon.
By time it is anywhere near ready for an f-pack, they should be on sale again. :)
I figure 5 boxes (60 canes) to f-pack. i based this on the 4:1 ratio of canes (fermented : f-pack ) used in the 3 gallon "deboard" recipe, and that's not a lot to buy "off sale", anyhow.

Last edited:
Also, if anyone made flavors other than the traditional peppermint, if they could post pics, that would be nice.

By time it is anywhere near ready for an f-pack, they should be on sale again. :)
I figure 5 boxes (60 canes) to f-pack. i based this on the 4:1 ratio of canes (fermented : f-pack ) used in the 3 gallon "deboard" recipe, and that's not a lot to buy "off sale", anyhow.

Douglas you have a good plan, go for it.

I suggest in place of the 5 box's of CC to get Peppermint syrup instead. Look in Restaurant Supply stores(look whewre there is coffee flavorings).

Do they make it in blueberry?
i am going to follow his recipe when i do the peppermint, except for i will probably do the peppermint flavoring.

Do they make it in blueberry?
i am going to follow his recipe when i do the peppermint, except for i will probably do the peppermint flavoring.

Yes I have some here. The brand is Da Vinci I get the sugar free as I like to control the sweeteness. I also use them for Home Brewing.

Just as a note, I was able to find 3.5 gram "big sticks" at Fred Meyer today for $.50 each. Significantly more expensive than the 12 cane boxes post xmas, but for time of year and overall price (it was around $5-6 to get enough for a 2 gallon tester), plus the ease of opening 24 canes instead of 164...sort of worth it to me.

Another quick note--in researching the big sticks I bought (King Leo brand "Giant Sticks"), they do NOT contain corn starch, but do contain titanium dioxide. Not sure if normal candy canes do; however, after looking it up I found this warning:

"Violent or incandescent reactions may occur with metals (fused and very electropositive) (e.g. aluminium, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, zinc and lithium)."

As such, I plan to allow to ferment undisturbed after heavy fermentation begins, and rack off carefully BEFORE adding kMeta or sorbate. Crossing fingers nothing explodes!

I'll also be using a lot more candy canes and less sugar, I was planning on 12 big sticks per gallon (which is 42oz, or 84 normal canes). This might be overkill, so I might suck it up, buy another 3 gallon carboy, and stretch my 2 gallon recipe to 3 (so 8 sticks per gallon, or 28oz, or 56 normal canes).

And I'm using Welch's 100% fruit white grape and raspberry concentrate, planning on 2 cans/gallon. No banana for me, if it needs more body I'll buy a cheap riesling box and add a gallon + peppermint extract at one of the racking stages. Starting this tomorrow, just need to pick up the yeast as I doubt montrachet (which is all I have left after a vigorous season) will work in this. Will post the whole recipe if it turns out...

Another quick note--in researching the big sticks I bought (King Leo brand "Giant Sticks"), they do NOT contain corn starch, but do contain titanium dioxide. Not sure if normal candy canes do; however, after looking it up I found this warning:

"Violent or incandescent reactions may occur with metals (fused and very electropositive) (e.g. aluminium, calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, zinc and lithium)."

As such, I plan to allow to ferment undisturbed after heavy fermentation begins, and rack off carefully BEFORE adding kMeta or sorbate. Crossing fingers nothing explodes!

I'll also be using a lot more candy canes and less sugar, I was planning on 12 big sticks per gallon (which is 42oz, or 84 normal canes). This might be overkill, so I might suck it up, buy another 3 gallon carboy, and stretch my 2 gallon recipe to 3 (so 8 sticks per gallon, or 28oz, or 56 normal canes).

And I'm using Welch's 100% fruit white grape and raspberry concentrate, planning on 2 cans/gallon. No banana for me, if it needs more body I'll buy a cheap riesling box and add a gallon + peppermint extract at one of the racking stages. Starting this tomorrow, just need to pick up the yeast as I doubt montrachet (which is all I have left after a vigorous season) will work in this. Will post the whole recipe if it turns out...

You won't need to add any sugar, there is more than enough in the candy canes. I didn't use a banana either but when i backsweetended I added corn syrup to give it more mouth feel.

Latest posts

Back