Can you filter a sparkling wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Reaction score
Can I run a sparkling wine through a filter to remove the sediment without losing the carbonation? It seems simpler to allow the bottles to carbonate and then filter into another bottle, than follow the champagne method and have sparkling wine all over the place when pulling the frozen stoppers out.

You will loose too much carbonation. It has to be a pretty quick operation. Besides you take all the fun out of it.
Cheaper commerical winerys will do it that way and pressure force carbonation with CO2.

One solution would be to do the following...

1) use a corney keg as your secondary fermentor (instead of a bottle).

2) CHILL DOWN the champagne BEFORE you filter/rack.

3) connect the full keg to your co2 source (set to 12 psi)
run a jumper hose from the full keg to another, empty keg.

4) attach a valve to the exaust port of the empty keg.

the last bit (#4) is what will control the whole thing. Once you have the whole thing connected, simply open the valve (step #4) just a bit to allow the air in the empty keg to escape. I have used this "pressure racking" technique a couple times before and it works well.

Sounds complicated .. lol.. but maybe worthwhile. I hate to bottle. Can you keep wine in a keg without worry that it will degrade like wine in open bottle? What would this equipment cost? Just a rough estimate to see if it's even remotely in my budget.

Ive had beer and sparkling wine for over 2 years and never noticed a degradation. I dont drink very often so thats why they lasted so long. also the fact that I had 3 beers at any time and the sparkling going. You wont need to filter it if using corny kegs as you just snip off a little of the tube going to the bottom or even bend it up a tad like I did and everything will settle to the bottom and with the leg snipped or bent up it wont pick up the last 2 or 3 inches where the sediment is.

Wade: I dont even bother snipping off the tube. I just keep the keg steady and in my keggerator (no shsking it up) and simply dump the first couple of glasses down the drain.

maddog: If you bargain hunt, the corneys should cost about $30 or $40 delivered (not new, but reconditioned). They are made of stainless steel, the same stuff they make wine tanks out of. I can not tell you just how cool it is to have champagne "on tap"!

Having it on tap would be really cool and you eliminate the need for champagne bottles/stoppers etc.. I'll look into the cost of the CO2 system.

Just remember youll really need room in a fridge for 1. Best thing IMO is to get a mini fridge and convert it but if you have a spare fridge that works great also. I let my wife have the freezer part and a little storage in the fridge but I had 4 kegs in mine.

Back