Can vineyard exist without chemical treatment?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My main issue here is downy mildew. Thanks for the heads up on Armicarb, I will see if I can get it or something like it here in the Azores

My main issue here is downy mildew. Thanks for the heads up on Armicarb, I will see if I can get it or something like it here in the Azores

For downy mildew, the best organic option is Bordeaux mixture. Yes, it is copper. And, no, it is not good for the soil. But studies have shown that the vines can handle quite a copper soil load (even if some trees can not).

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/bordeaux-mixture
Potassium bicarbonate can help against downy mildew, but downy mildew can also become resistant to potassium bicarbonate (which is one reason why it is now regulated in the EU -- it was over used and caused resistance).

There are of course also non-organic options for downy mildew.

Its milder weather in the Azores, I will stay where I am for the time being. :)
Apologies for veering off topic, but "Azores" is a word of my youth -- bringing to mind hearing about fond memories held by my dad. As long as he was alive he would always smile when talking about the six weeks or so he spent in the Azores in late summer 1945 (prior to VE-day he'd been a B-17 tail-gunner based in England). They were in the Azores doing a post-war map-making project. The weather had to be absolutely perfect for photography -- and if not, they would have the day (and occasionally a plane) to themselves... Some happy days for him and his crewmates (they could even pick up radio broadcasts from NY), after having gone through quite a few combat missions. Again, sorry for going off topic.

Attachments

• 1945 Azores chapel 1.jpg
    1945 Azores chapel 1.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 1945 Azores chapel 2.jpg
    1945 Azores chapel 2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 1945 Azores chapel  bulletin 1.jpg
    1945 Azores chapel bulletin 1.jpg
    671.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 1945 Sep 25 leaving Azores 1.jpg
    1945 Sep 25 leaving Azores 1.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 1945 Sep 25 leaving Azores 2.jpg
    1945 Sep 25 leaving Azores 2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 1945 Azores PX 1.jpg
    1945 Azores PX 1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 1945 Azores PX 2.jpg
    1945 Azores PX 2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 15
Apologies for veering off topic, but "Azores" is a word of my youth -- bringing to mind hearing about fond memories held by my dad. As long as he was alive he would always smile when talking about the six weeks or so he spent in the Azores in late summer 1945 (prior to VE-day he'd been a B-17 tail-gunner based in England). They were in the Azores doing a post-war map-making project. The weather had to be absolutely perfect for photography -- and if not, they would have the day (and occasionally a plane) to themselves... Some happy days for him and his crewmates (they could even pick up radio broadcasts from NY), after having gone through quite a few combat missions. Again, sorry for going off topic.

It might be off topic, but very interesting never the less. The American base is in Lajes on Terceira today. I did not know there had been a secret base on Santa Maria. https://www.panam.org/images/People_Places/AzoresSteppingStones/Secret-Base-by-Daniel-Haulman.pdf

Edit Santa Maria island is also known as the Ihla de Sol, it is further south than the rest of the Azores group of Islands. It gets a lot more sunshine than the rest of the Azores and is where many Azorians go for Holidays. It doesnt have many trees and has a very small population. The neighbouring island of Sao Miguel is the biggest island in the Azores group and is very pretty, with lots of trees, and volcanic lakes, and active volcanoes and with hot springs.

Last edited:
I've been to the Azores. A good lookin' woman behind every tree.

Not all the islands have lots of trees, they are all different, as are the ladies!

Ihla Flores most westerly > great in the summer time, but gets hammered by every gale/storm in the winter! Not many trees but plenty of waterfalls and by its name lots of flowers.

Grupo Central > misses most winter storms, mostly mild all year round. Sao Jorge is the nature island, best walking trails, Faial has more restaurants, with a cracking view of Pico. Pico lots of wine making, less touristy, and the biggest mountain in Portugal.

Terceira is the party island, tourists, agriculture, industry etc.

Sao Miguel very touristy lots of scenery and volcanoes, and trees. Would be wonderful to fly over and photograph especially if you are not paying in 1945

Santa Maria best harbour in the azores, small, with eco tourism, fishing, agriculture, quiet with lots of sunshine, lots of vines.

Which islands did you get too!

Last edited:
The Navy port there is Punta Del Gado(sp?). In the early 80's it was like stepping into a time capsule from the 1950's. I remember low clouds and thinking it was wet place. The view towards the inland was long rising grassland and sheep. They basically closed up shop at sunset and we couldn't find a place to drink a beer.

Ponta Delgada.
Things have changed since the 80's although with the Corona Virus still being on Sao Miguel(they still have about 100 cases) you might have difficulty getting a drink after 8pm. The other islands are free of Covid and mostly operating as per normal, with the exceptions of masks needed to go into shops and bars if they dont know you.

The Islands are like taking a step back in time, I would say 70's or 80's today. But they all have electricity and street lights, and mostly tarred roads oh! and no crime.

Latest posts

Back