Can someone suggest a 5 gal recipe for this

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alstang1

Junior
Reaction score
Using a search, I found the below recipe for Pineapple wine. My 19 year old son, in his infinate wisdom, and seeing what I was doing, had a batch of Dole Pineapple mixed up when I got home today. He said, if he started it, he knew I would figure things out by the time anything important came up. Kids are brilliant, are they not?

Anyhow, he put 15 cans of concentrate 100% Dole Pineapple juice and 9 cups of sugar into a mix and topped it up to 5 gallons. No enzimes or yeast has been added yet. His SG when I got home was 1.109. Wowsers.

Any suggestions as to how to make this work would be much appreciated, as I feel time is ticking on making this right.

Thanks

Al

Rule G said:
I made a very tasty pineapple wine nearly 2 years ago. It was only a one gallon recipe but I still have a bottle left. This isn't my recipe and I don't remember where I got it:

1 can frozen Welch's Niagra grape concentrate
1 can frozen Dole pineapple juice
2 ripe bananas
1/4 cup orange juice
2 cups sugar
1/2 t pectic enzyme
1t yeast nutrient
water to 1 gallon

Pasteur Champagne yeast
Sg 1.090

ferment to dryness and bottled clear after 2 months

This came out to 11.75%

You either will jut exhaust the yeast or be dry with nothing left o this yeast unless the numbers for this strain is wrong. Seeing as pineapple contains little or no pectin you should be fine without the pectic enzyme. I dont think there is a real problem with this wine although the SG is a little high. I would have shot fro 1.095 myself, maybe you can dilute this with 2 more cans of concentrate and the rest water to make 6 gallons adding the concentrate last to accommodate the SG but all should be OK but will need more time to come around. Its not to far off scale.

Use this list to see potential alcohol by volume

http://www.finevinewines.com/brix_table.htm

That will be a high alcohol wine and may subdue the flavor of the juice. You can either have a high ABV wine or dilute it. I would lean towards diluting. What size carboy do you have? If only a 5 gallon one, I would dilute to 5.5 gallons in the primary- giving you about the right amount after rackings. It should also get the ABV down to a better level.

If you leave the SG that high you will likely have a slightly sweet wine with that yeast. If you want it dry, change the yeast to a higher alcohol tolerant yeast strain.
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp

I would also want to add the yeast nutrient so it will have more fuel to ferment out better and cleaner. Good luck with it!

I agree with the flow. Dilute it down. You are going to have rocket fuel with that high SG. The alcohol (if it ferments to dry) will over power the pineapple taste IMHO. I personally would shoot for an even lower SG than 1.090 listed in your post. I would work at 1.080 which would allow the fruit taste to come forward in the wine. 1.090 would probably be fine with pineapple though.

That is just a personal taste for me though. I prefer a little lower alcohol content in a fruit wine so I can taste the fruit in a manner closer to it's fresh flavor. Your tastes may vary though.

Alst':

Twer me, I'd transfer 4 gallons of themix to a second carboy, then add water to dilute to 5 gallons, check the sg and add water andor juice from the original carboy till you get your 6 gallons at 1.085 (or what ever).

Keep the remaining juice under air lock to add later when topping off.

Thanks for the advice guys. Email has been down, so I did not notice replies until this morning. I am going to transfer to a 6 galand top up to dilute. I will report SG's when I make the transfer. Thanks for all the help.

Al

It should be ready to drink on his 21st birthday....
smiley4.gif

Alst:

Most fruit wines begin to lose their full flavors & color after the first year. They're not like grape wines that age nicely over the years.

You might want to consider starting that fine Blueberry after 7 months of cellaring.

Latest posts

Back