Can I save myself from the past?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayseedjim

Reaction score
I am feeling the results of not making the proper acid adjustments to my wines from a year and a half ago. I, a novice(at that time-still am!!!- big time!!- and did not understand the implications of balancing the acidic values of my wine at that time, nor did I have the ta kit that would have saved me, that I would not have understood at the time anyway). I bottled the wine, like I said, a year and a half ago. When I open a bottle- yuk- very bitter and acidic, nice aroma and body- but not drinkable.
Can I do anything to save this wine?I hate the thought of having to throw it all away!!
Appreciate the input.
Jim

Without knowing what wine this is, it is hard to give you an answer. If it is a grape wine, it is possible that the bitterness (tannins) will smooth out in another year. The acidity also mellows out a bit. I would just give it more time in a bottle. That is about all you can really do at this point.

Wow,

Bitter and acidic but great aroma and body. Sounds promising and like Appleman says it may just need some more aging.

Don't give up on it. Learn from it!

You can still crack open a bottle and get the pH and test the TA. If this is Wine from grapes. It would really help to know what type of wine this is and where the fruit came from as a start.

Whatever you do don't throw it away! Wine is a chemistry experiment that takes years to finish sometimes.
smiley23.gif

Would cold stabilizing help?

Also.... You could try sweetening it. That will help tone it down. You could do that in the glass, or in a decanter, ect, ect.

These are a Merlot and a Cabernet that were from concentrate. I also added blackberries, in a different batch, to a Merlot concentrate. I will let them age for another year. Thanks for the input guys.

Do you mean the Alexanders Concentrate? If so I hope it sl]moothes out flor you but cant say it will and have tasted that stuff a few times and its not to my liking at all.

The wine is a year and a half old? I like the idea of sweetening in the glass or sweetening as you decant for now. Anything else you could do would be risky.
Use this calculator to determine how much sugar you need for a bottle of wine.

http://wineadds.com/

Back