CAN ANYONE ID THIS PLEASE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As @salcoco said, cedar apple rust, a fungal disease ,,, will take out apple family (crabs).

It has two hosts the eastern white cedar and apple family and does a circular trip back and forth with two stages in the life cycle. If you can remove the cedar it breaks the cycle or if you can remove the apple family it breaks the cycle.
Nice photo !

thank awl of yawl,, and yes,,, then this is the little devils' that has destroyed my crab apples the last few years,
these will meet their maker, not to mention, now i can cross a fence line kill others with out bothering someone else's trees,,, gonging to be hunting with my pruning shears and caring a few gallon baggies, or BODY BAGS FOR FUNGIS
Dawg

pruning will not be sufficient you will have to cut down the cedar trees. the rust will just inhabit the tree the following year.
welp I'll cut them down, is it just them 2 tees or all the eastern white cedar trees, if i remember we have at least 6 types of cedar on the place, so do i need to cut down all of the eastern white cedars?
Dawg

Your culprit might be nearby juniper.

Red cedars and other junipers are most often infected by the cedar-apple rust fungus. Related rusts are cedar-hawthorn and cedar-quince rusts. The life cycle of these rusts requires two different host trees. Cedar-apple rust needs a juniper and an apple or crabapple tree to complete its life cycle. Cedar-hawthorn and cedar-quince rusts have similar life cycles.

https://www.ehow.com/how_8248821_treat-cedar-rust.html

Your culprit might be nearby juniper.

Red cedars and other junipers are most often infected by the cedar-apple rust fungus. Related rusts are cedar-hawthorn and cedar-quince rusts. The life cycle of these rusts requires two different host trees. Cedar-apple rust needs a juniper and an apple or crabapple tree to complete its life cycle. Cedar-hawthorn and cedar-quince rusts have similar life cycles.

https://www.ehow.com/how_8248821_treat-cedar-rust.html
yes, i have been reading up, it is beyond my control beings i live in the woods with hundreds of thousands of trees around me, i am now trying to figurer out what fungicide for my apple and crabapple trees
thank you for all info
Dawg

cedar apple rust it is. had some Jonathan apple trees really susceptible cut down the cedar trees and it helped. i have been told cedars three mile away can affect the fruit. check with county agent should have the recommended spray program for the rust.
well after more reading more i see they are several types of rust using different types of juniper an cedar, we have at least 6 types of cedar and juniper growing around here. 1 has hanging limbs kind of like a weeping willow, just not as extreme, and one with little green berries, one that is green with a red cast to it, an a couple with lighter or deeper shades of green,, i see there is a all natural fungicide but they think it is gold, $40 a tree, anyone know the recipe for that stuff?
Dawg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back