Cambden Tablets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Jordan

Junior
Reaction score
I know your supposed to add them right after you makethe must. But will it do much harm if you add it after youve started the yeast?

Do not add it after you put the yeast in or you will likely kill the yeast or at least slow it's initial development. Either put it in at the beginning, wait 24 hours and then pitch the yeast or wait until after fermentation is over and then add it after racking a second time.

Ok, so....... what if I already added it last night. It's bubbling pretty consistantly now but if it slows down, could I just add some yeast energizer to bring it back up.

If it's bubbling happily away it should keep going. Most commercial yeast packets have some tolerance to S02 (what the campden tablets give off). You should be ok.

Welcome to the forum by the way. I like your avatar. I used that for a while a few years ago.

YES
Good chance it may kill the yeast. If you didn't add it yet wait till the fining stages.
smiley20.gif

Why take the chance..

Thanks. Im glad I found this forum. The couple batches of wine I made before were ghetto wine recipes I found on youtube.

Welcome Mr. J,

You've hit a goldmine here. I know I did. Very good info and help / advice to be found here.

Nice to meet you Mr. Jordan. You've been given great advice thus far. Good luck with your wine and always remember to ask, ask, ask. That's the way we all learn.

Give the must a good stir to oxygenate it. That will reduce the effect of the campden tabs and give the yeast the oxygen it needs to reproduce and make more little yeasties.

Thanks Peter. I stirred it this morning and it foamed up a bunch and went back down. The airlock is still bubbling a lot.

Latest posts

Back