Calibrating ph meter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyRam

Reaction score
I want to make sure that I am calibrating my ph meter right; the instruction my meter are not all that clear. The meter I have is not self calibrating, I wish it was.

I take the ph 7 solution, turn the screw until the meter reads 7.0. I the rinse with distilled water, blot dry and us the ph 4 solution, turn the screw until it read 4.0.

Am I following the proper procedure? I am also guessing that you have recalibrate it every time it is used?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Nothing wrong with a quick rinse in distilled water. Just don't let your electrode soak in it.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

You don't have to recalibrate it every time you use it. I recalibrate mine every once in a while and it measures the ph fine.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a quick rinse in distilled water. Just don't let your electrode soak in it.

Greg you are correct and ibglowin will agree also. It's also the same advice I would give, BUT..at work I leave mine soaking in distilled water all the time without issues (do as I say and not as I do :) )

What is the reasoning behind not doing it?

Deionized water will slowly leach the ions out from the electrode. Think osmotic pressure where you have ions concentrated on the inside of the glass membrane and no ions outside. This will shorten the life of your electrode. You should store it in pH 4 buffer or storage solution which is a potassium chloride solution.

Deionized water will slowly leach the ions out from the electrode. Think osmotic pressure where you have ions concentrated on the inside of the glass membrane and no ions outside. This will shorten the life of your electrode. You should store it in pH 4 buffer or storage solution which is a potassium chloride solution.

Thanks for the info Greg, that makes sense to me.

Back