Cactus

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotty

Reaction score
After returning from Arkansas and having those @#$#@#$ from texas feed me a fried cactus. i tried to start one of my own from a piece that was not cooked.
I set it in potting soil and in 2 weeks it just withered.

I have done cactus before right into the sandy florida soil and it grew.

I need advice. was it just the wrong soil???

I saw that Ramona grows cactus and decided that this might be a good place to ask for advice.

I wont get back to wine making for a couple of months

It's that damned grease fom the skillet thats all over it scotty..HAlf fried cacus is just hard to get started man
smiley36.gif

Sorry Scotty............ I have to agree with Waldo.......... Cant root a half cooked cactus.
smiley36.gif

I had an aunt in florida that would take a cactus ear (as she called them) and could cut them in half, or large ones she would quarter. She would put tooth pick in them about an inch from the bottom, with the cut ear standing up. Then she would set it on a cup of water so that the one inch part of the cactus was in the water and being held up by the tooth picks. Just keep the cups topped off and they will root.

Now mind you, I have tried this several times in my life........... and I still own No cactus

Cut them and let them heal [dry], then plant them and don't water too much or they will rot.

If it wilted don't worry, leave it alone, dry and it might still root.

I break them off and shove them in the bad soil. I started what turned into a big plant with some chunks that sat in a bag for a few days before I remembered them.

I'll have to go out and take a photo of our attempt to grow the cactus later today. It doesn't look very promising.

Scotty,

Not knowing what kind of a piece you are trying to plant it is kind of hard to say what to do with it. But NW is right, Need to let it callous over or heal before planting in almost dry soil. Then water gradually and very little, Maybe mistthe soil lightlyfor quite a long while until the roots take hold.

Is it a prickly pear cactus??

Ithink they said it was
its out ther in the soil and i'll just leave it for a few weeks.

What were you going to say about a prickly pear :)

You can eat a fried cactus? Are you serious?? Can explain the taste of it because I'm really curious what a cactus can taste like.

Scotty tells me that it tastes like an avacado that wasn't properly mashed ans seasoned. Yuck!!!
smiley5.gif

Back