Need input on new trellis system

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocktop

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I started my vineyard this year after years of thinking about it.
I am in southern BC Canada, but not in the okanagan belt known for great wines. Our winters can be a bit colder and more snow. I planted 3 varieties to test out their cold hardiness. (potentially will plant out the full 2 acres)
100 - Lemberger
25 - Gamay
and 25 La Crescent.
In my early research I had planned on training them all on VSP which almost all of the Okanagan wineries use.
However reading more, and understanding I don't have the growing days of the prime areas, I am starting to question my choice. I have been reading more on the Smart Dyson and also Scott Henry. Both interested me as those systems split the canopy and allowed more sun exposure and had far greater yields than VSP which would be important for me if I expand (maximize production from my little acreage).
I also found a video where they took a regular VSP system and just as the vertical shoots were to hit the first guide wire they would pull out all the shoots on the west side and allow them to eventually train down, thereby again splitting the canopy.
My rows are north/south, very sandy soil.
Looking forward to any advice, experiences or input.
Does any else use these systems or a hybrid or do most just use VSP or TWC?
Thank you

Back