buying oak casks online?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulc

Reaction score
If this is a violation please go ahead and pull the thread but I was wondering if anyone has bought, or been tempted to buy, the oak casks for sale on ebay that are new manufacture out of Hungary? TIA, paulc

Vadia is a very good resource for buying barrels. The link you have listed is actually a user here and I tried to get him to advertise here but he declined. :(

Quite a few of us have and are very happy with our Vadai Barrels These are Hungarian Oak and are a quality product. Very trusted source that stands behind the product.

Quite a few of us have and are very happy with our Vadai Barrels These are Hungarian Oak and are a quality product. Very trusted source that stands behind the product.

I can purchase new Hungarian Med Toast barrels for about half the price of vadai at Corrado's.

A 224 liter barrel, for example, is about $380.00.

I can purchase new Hungarian Med Toast barrels for about half the price of vadai at Corrado's.

A 224 liter barrel, for example, is about $380.00.

So John you are saying we could get these barrels (or something just like them) for half the price? If so please post a link. Thanks!

So John you are saying we could get these barrels (or something just like them) for half the price? If so please post a link. Thanks!

I do not believe that they post prices (or sell anything) on line. You actually need to go there. I see that you are from York, PA. The trip may take you a couple of hours, but I think it would be well worth it.

They are located at

600 ghetty Avenue,
Clifton, NJ 07011

Their phone number is 973-340-0848.

Web site is: http://www.corradosmarket.com/home/store-wine.html

They do give price quotes over the phone.

Have you purchased one yet?

Please give us a review or point to an old thread would love to hear more.

I do not believe that they post prices (or sell anything) on line. You actually need to go there. I see that you are from York, PA. The trip may take you a couple of hours, but I think it would be well worth it.

Thanks John! I may have to go check this place out..

Not to mention they have a first class wine competition this month and John took top honors last year. I have been on their web site and the place is awesome and I talked to them on the phone, very nice people. Brian, only being several hours away it would be well worth the road trip to check it out.

I agree! I think I might delve into the barrel ageing thing. I get out that way every once in a while anyway..

Thanks John! I may have to go check this place out..

While you are at it, also ask about other thing that you need. Since they do not ship, and sell a ton, I find that there prices are WAY lower then what some folks are paying.

For example, 54 liter demijohns (with basket and hood) run 3 for $100.00.

johnT.

John, Vadai charges 433.00 for 220 ltr. barrel. The problem with this size is they ship it truck freight and that'll cost me around $300 shipping. I wonder if the quality of the ones from Corrados is as good as Vadai? I just bought an American Oak barrel from the barrel mill, and i must say the quality is bad. there is 1/32" gaps between the staves. Leaks out of the 1 head. when i pull the solid bung after it has created some vacuum. it sounds like it is breaking apart.

You should really call them i bought a 15 gallon from them and the barrel was and is great.I also know of others who have also bought from them and are very pleased.What size barrel did you buy?By the way the wine coming out of these barrels are fantastic.My brother bought a french oak barrel from Carrodos and its very good quality as well.

KeveninPa,i have a few 120 lt french oak barrels as well that i really like how do you compare the hungarin oak to the others?By the way i just bottled a syrah blend i had in the american oak,and i really like it.Im sure it will work for you as well.

John if you are asking me.. I have not made it out that way yet. I only get out that way once or twice a year so I am not sure when I will. I have there name and address in my book so when I get there I will stop in.

Mike et al, I got permission to pull the trigger on a Vadai barrel today. What toast should I request. I do big reds only, mostly Italian style.

Had to ask the "boss" huh? :>

I think the medium toast is a pretty standard all around safe level.

Did you talk with Sandor yet? He is quite the character and the talker!

Had to ask the "boss" huh? :>

I think the medium toast is a pretty standard all around safe level.

Did you talk with Sandor yet? He is quite the character and the talker!

Thanks, and no I haven't called him yet, am going to tomorrow. I am looking forward to talking to him. I expect him to remind me of some of my uncles. Among other things I have uncles that claim to have invented the Muffalata sandwich, the Margarita, Remould dressing and well they never claimed to have invented gaming just perfecting it.

Latest posts

Back