buying oak casks online?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what kind of oak are you using right now?

and i will skip the comments about the boss :)

I have had best results with French spirals medium plus toast and Hungarian cubes House toast. Have also used American oak spirals but do not prefer the outcome.

Al, I would love to try your wine but live in Texas and your link doesn't ship to Texas. Any suggestions?

Tony...i am not sure what the house toast on your hungarian is...i am going to assume house is light or medium...but you wold know better and since Vadai is hungarian, i think you know what to do.....if you want medium on the light side you might choose if its an option to only toast the barrel staves and not the ends if you have that choice...but really its all on you...you cant go wrong toasting the whole thing...just monitor how long your wine is in it

as for my wine...are you close to houston?

Thanks, and yes I am 90 miles from Houston. That's just a hop, skip and jump in Texas terms. I am there often. My kids live there and I own a business there.

well then if my son recovers from an injury and returns to the astros i will probably head that way to see him some time in the summer...maybe when the sox go there we can share a bottle:b

right now i am rereading (for the third time) the directions form my new Vinmetrica so2 tester that arrived tonite....being a physics guy and not a chemist guy i wish i had Mike(ibglowin) here to set me straight when i go to test in in a few days:?

well then if my son recovers from an injury and returns to the astros i will probably head that way to see him some time in the summer...maybe when the sox go there we can share a bottle:b

right now i am rereading (for the third time) the directions form my new Vinmetrica so2 tester that arrived tonite....being a physics guy and not a chemist guy i wish i had Mike(ibglowin) here to set me straight when i go to test in in a few days:?

It's a date. PM me on one of the forums when the time comes. Oh wow, Jeff's dad, never put it together.

Last edited:

Very simple instrument to use.

You think I could set you straight! ;)

That thing should be "Fulchino" proof! PM me if you have any problems.

....being a physics guy and not a chemist guy i wish i had Mike(ibglowin) here to set me straight when i go to test in in a few days:?

i think i got it Mike...i was a bit tired last night...it arrived at 7:30 pm..i found it outside close to 9pm....it all looks like its operational and ready for a test...the formula that they use for figuring ppm was vague to me at first....woke up today and read it again...was clear as a bell

free ppmSO2 content = 64xV * N *1000 and this is all divided by 2 * S

V=amount of ML in the syringe, liquid being the Titrant solution
N= the normality or strength of the solution supplied and that is .0156
S= being the total ML of the sample, in this case 25 ml

and if i want to get total so2 it is SO2ppm=20 * V, i just need to buy a .01 N sodium hydroxide and follow their additional instructions

Rock said "Very simple instrument to use. "

lots of things are simple Rock....that is until they meet me ;)

unlike you if i recall correctly...yes...had two brand new packages of nine volts in the house...then i opened the Vinmetrica package and lo and behold they supplied a battery too..not many companies these days do that...also the titrant, acid and reactant solutions that came w the package all have the expiry dates on them...very handy

Often online wine retailers can offer a massive range of wines purely because they are based in gargantuan warehouses. Even if they do not have any bottles of a specific type of wine in their warehouse they can order in specialty wines ensuring that you will receive the exact bottle you need. Buying wine, as with buying anything online is extremely convenient, all that is required of you is to sit at your computer, search the pages on each website and then fill a shopping basket and head to the checkout.

Latest posts

Back