Bulk Aging Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VWyatt

Junior
Reaction score
Just placed 3 batches into bulk aging. Should i use a solid rubber bung in the carboys or will the airlock bung filled with distilled water work also?

thanks in advance

use solid bungs...the airlock is subject to too many issues..evaporartion and barometric issues among others

I'm not going to touch the bung vs airlock question, but when you use airlocks they should be filled with something that will dissuade baddies from growing (usually either meta solution or vodka).

use solid bungs...the airlock is subject to too many issues..evaporartion and barometric issues among others

I think for the first time I will respectfully disagree with Father Al (is this a sin). I always use air locks as i have heard of several folks having solid bungs blowing out due to barometric pressure. Yes air locks can dry out but you should be checking these every couple of weeks anyways. I fermentation should happen to start up again you'll also blow your bung. A cool carboy suddenly warmed up from a heat vent or other source will surely pop a solid bung.

A winery that is aging wine in barrels will use solid bungs after all risk of fermentation is over. For the home wine maker I think we should be paying close attention to our carboys, making sure the bungs are tight and filled with liquid at least every few weeks.

ah son my son....not really a disagreement.....

long term bulk aging is a touchy thing, but if you have consistent temps and wines were pressed/degassed then solid should be ok and there will be no pushout

the problem you will run in to w ***long*** term bulk aging is this....evaporation... and reduction...i have witnessed this....you can be deceived if your air lock is evaporating and your aging vessel wine w its associated water evaporates up into the internal cap of an airlock and then drips down into the airlock....small amounts true...but over a long time it does occur..i would recommend air locks for secondary fermenting on thru early bulk states and that is it

bear in mind that if air lock were so wonderful you would see them in all the oak barrels in all the wineries around the world, because it would satisfy the arguments/points you are making in your post

to me typically from post ferment and if mlf'd i would denote these months on up to 6 months or so as clarifying time...development time, blending time....likely some oaking time....aging to me goes beyond that...most often a wine is a simple wine at 6-9 months and an aged wine post that period

eeee gaaads I've done plenty of those in my time. Even got pulled out of the confessional by a Nun because I kept blinking the busy light. LOL

For home wine makers, one reason to use an air lock and bung for at least the first few months of bulk aging is because many times home wine makers have a challenge getting their wine degassed completely. I even use a vacuum pump but still seem to have a challenge getting all the CO2 out, but that is perhaps just ME, as others seem to have no problems at all degassing (Ugh!).

Being under an air lock for this short period gives the wine a little (but very little) bit more opportunity to degas. Of course this is not very effective if the wine is stored under 70F.

Barometric pressure is pulling/pushing at the wine in the carboy constantly. I have read that using an air lock over too long a period can allow some of the aroma to escape. That article recommended that a solid bung be installed after 4 to 6 months of bulk aging.

Also, a barrel, to some extent, breathes, allowing CO2, water, and alcohol to escape and small amounts of air to enter the barrel. This is not so for a carboy, although I did read an article by Tim V. of Wine Maker's Magazine that a bung in the top of a carboy is not as perfect a seal as most would think.

Dan, I was surprised as you when I read Al's post. I personally would probably never use a solid bung (though I have a few).

All of my wines I age have a bung with an airlock filled with sulfite and water. At 6 months for my reds I drop in a few grains of sulfite to keep it fresh.

My cellar is cool enough I rarely have an evaporation unless I leave the cap off (DUH!!)

I see the water move from time to time with the barometric pressure and temperature change.

I use them all the time. As long as your degassed properly you just have to remember to crack them if the temps are rising in the winery (and thus carboys). No problems if the temps are falling.

Mikey likes them! :br

I've not used (or even seen) the breathable silicone bungs but they seem to be used for aging - anyone know if these breathe fast enough to compensate for quick atmospheric changes?

Latest posts

Back