Primary fermenter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rotjong

Junior
Reaction score
Newbie here.

just got me a new Cap sav kit from Cru.
so After reading the instructions it goes on to say “place lid with airlock and rubber bung onto primary Fermenter” but my primary Fermenter just has a lid with no hole for a bung.
can it be used with just a lid ?

thanks.

The purpose of the lid with airlock is to contain the CO2 that’s gets generated near the end of fermentation. CO2 is a preservative so it keeps the wine protected from bacteria. A sealed lid will leak since it’s not designed to hold pressure, my guess. Some pressure, ok, but how will we know?

If you can’t get a lid, I think I would suggest racking to a carboy.

Newbie here.

so After reading the instructions it goes on to say “place lid with airlock and rubber bung onto primary Fermenter” but my primary Fermenter just has a lid with no hole for a bung.

thanks.
During the first active phase of fermentation (primary fermentation) yeast needs oxygen. Most of us use either a towel or just place the lid loosely on the bucket. We also stir a few times a day to make sure the must is well oxygenated.

When the fermentation is nearing completion (specific gravity of 1.010 or so) then transfer to a carboy with an airlock for “secondary” fermentation.

Do you have a hydrometer to measure specific gravity? It is the single most important piece of equipment you can get… and inexpensive… and fragile, so get two.

Welcome to WMT!

Newbie here.

thanks.
You have a couple of options. For now, I agree with ChuckD and just set the lid on top of the fermenting bucket until the SG get into the 1.010-1.020 range. If you want to alter your lid and add an airlock, you will need to purchase one of these:

https://labelpeelers.com/equipment/fermenting/lid-grommet/
An alternative to purchasing and installing a grommet is to drill hole in the lid that will accommodate a drilled stopper (No. 6 or No. 7) and use that stopper with an airlock.

Personally, I do both methods of fermenting, i.e. keeping the wine in the fermenter and snapping the lid with an airlock down when the SG gets into the 1.010-1.020 range or keeping it in the fermenter until it hits reaches that range and then transferring to a carboy. The determining factor is whether I have a bag of skins in the wine or not, i.e. with skins, leave in fermenter, without skins, transfer to carboy. Either way works but I have found the longer time on the skins, the better.

Good luck! and welcome to the forum.

Awesome thanks for welcoming me to the group and thank you for the reply’s.

I made wine about 20 years ago, then lost interest and sold everything, now our Canadian government is going to add another 6% tax on all liquor in the stores.
So yesterday I bought all used equipment again so I will give it another go..

I bought all used equipment again so I will give it another go..
What are you thinking of? There are a lot of kit and fruit wine makers here. Post a recipe and your process and you’re sure to get lots of good advice.

ETA. I see your in Alberta. @vinny is from there. You’re probably neighbors 😉.

Back