Bulk Aging - Stopper or Airlock or Bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you bulk age?

• Carboy with Rubber Stopper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Carboy with Airlock

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Gallon Jugs with Screw Caps

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Bottle

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

kirbyclk

Reaction score
Just curious to see how others prefer to bulk age their wine.

1. Carboy with Rubber Stopper?
2. Carboy with Airlock?
3. Gallon Jugs with Screw Caps?
4. Bottle?

I dont recommend a solid bung at all. Do you have any idea how many posts come through here asking if their wine which ad a solid bung but popped off due to either barometric pressure or temp change is OK or if they need to dump their wine? If your putting it into bottles its not bulk aging anymore.

1 gallon jugs with air lock or magnum bottles with corks if older than say 6 months and degassed.

99.99% is carboy w/airlock. Rarely, once already clear, aged and gas free, I'll move to gallon jugs w/screw caps when I need a free carboy.

Right now the only thing I have in gallon jugs is a 3g batch of banana I did A Long Time Ago and I'm not sure what I'm going to eventually do with it beyond experimentation. I haven't even tasted it yet ...

to me the advantage of the air lock is that you can accomodate temp and barometric changes....make sure you keep them filled and yes they even act as fruit fly traps :) so for most people with no dedicated temperature controlled room this should be your avenue of choice

on the other hand...air locks are not the be all and end all and can be an accident waiting to happen..if your wine has been degassed via your kit methods or via pressing grapes and if stored in an area of reasonably steady temps and humidity then you should have no issue....and the preference would be something solid and an aging vessel that micro-oxygenates

Latest posts

Back