Bulk Aging Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burningalive

Reaction score
I just did a White Merlot Kit and am at the bottling stage. I know at this point I could bottle but I also could bulk age it, so my question is.....should I?
What are the benefits? Should I Rack it again and add the kmeta for aging or should I just add the kmeta in the current carboy and stir it up? Or should I just bottle it and let it sit and stop worrying about it? Thanks!
smiley2.gif

It's a White Merlot which is generally somewhat of an early drinker. So I would let it sit in the carboy to make sure everything is nice and clear for a couple of weeks to a month and then bottle.
VC

It's nice and clear now....and according to the directions it's ready to bottle I put the clearing agent in about 2 weeks ago and it looks great with no visible sediment at the bottom. I just didn't know if for taste it would benefit from the bulk aging more than from aging in the bottle.

Like said before it need no long term aging. But, why not wait another 2 weeks before bottling. Of course if you don't have anything to drink... well.. why wait
Once in bottle wait at least 2-4 weeks so bottle shock is a non issue.

As with everything burningalive there are thoughts, opinions and judgements on bulk aging in the carboy vs the bottle. My personal take is that I am more likely to let it age longer in the carboy than if I go ahead and bottle simply because its pretty tough picking up that carboy and pouring a glass. Whether it really ages in the carboy better than in the bottle I honestly cannot say. I make mostly fruit wines and let thm clear naturally so by virtue of that mine are in the carboy a lot longer anyway.

Latest posts

Back