Bulk aging and airlocks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to filter before I bulk age so that I dont have t do any more rackings as what comes out after filtration will be sediment free. i would add k-meta to bottom of empty carboy and filter right on top of it. It should be clear before you filter your wine or you will just clog up your filter and have lots of problems and most likely have to change filters in the middle of the process. I typically clear my wine at least 2 weeks with a fining agent and then rack off that for a month and then filter into clean carboy with k-meta in first, this way you are mixing up the kmeta with the wine pouring in and also dont get a volcano when you do stir a little to make sure the k-meta is thoroughly mixed in. It is absolutely worth aging for that period of time.

Sounds like a good plan, 1 more question. If I filter into a clean carboy with k-meta on the bottom, stir it up, then let it age for 3-4 months, do i need to add more k-meta prior to bottling (if i plan on having it in the bottle for over 6 months

It wouldnt hurt s we typically only add S02 to the rate of 40-60 ppm. Commercial whites typically contain 75-90 ppm and commercial reds typically contain 80-120 ppm. So as you can see we dont really come close to what they do typically as they dont know how long wine is going to sit on a retailers shelf before it is sold.
Edited by: wade

Back