Mosti Mondiale Bulk ageing a Vinifera Noble Carmenere kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReefKeeper

Abecedarian
Reaction score
Yesterday I transferred my first kit to secondary. In 7-10 days I'm supposed to rack it again. The directions say not to add fining agents if I plan to bulk age. Does this include the Meta?

The directions also say to splash rack it. Should I hold off on this until I add the fining agents the week before bottling? Will keeping the CO2 help protect it from O2, or cause problems clearing the wine? I have a mix stir and Vacu Vin to degas later.

RK, A couple of answers for you:

The directions say to rack in 7-10 days. Do they also give an SG level to reach before racking?

You should add the K-meta at the racking when fermentation stops. It is not a fining agent. It is protection against bacteria and oxidation. Fining agents are substances like Kieselsol and Chitosan.

Splash racking helps to degas the wine and to dissipate unwanted gases like H2S. If it were I, when fermentations stops, I would splash rack into a clean and sanitized carboy, degas with a drill stirrer, vacuum pump or spoon, add the K-meta and bulk age.

The airlock and K-meta will protect against O2. You wine will not or will be difficult to clear is you do not degas.

Thanks for the reply. I'm actually racking the wine today. The kit does say to rack after reaching a SG of < 0.0996. I've gotten two consecutive readings at 0.0996 and will confirm a third before proceeding.

I contacted the seller of the kit with these same questions, and was told there is no reason to bulk age a 10L kit and I should follow the kit directions. I guess that means I can drink it a few months sooner than I had anticipated.

Back