Brush stuck in carboy -yes really, lol!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knockabout

Reaction score
So for several days we have been walking by our carboy wondering how can we get this brush out. Yes really. The bristles are s thick it becomes very tightly jammed and I wanna use that carboy. If you have any suggestions after you stop giggling they would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kim

brush styck in carboy.jpg

Put it in the tub and run a bit of water over the bristles. Push the brush in all the way to let them spring back and then pull upward. Without going in all the way it bends the bristles into a U shape which resists pulling back out. Give it a try.

Ya, what grape man says. When you pull it up, try to do it in one smooth motion without stopping. Yep, it sprays water as it comes out. It'd try to find one with shorter bristles and a bend in it, like a typical carboy brush. Probably easier to get out. If worse comes to worst, you can use a small amount of dish soap on it.

How about boiling a kettle of water and pouring the water (carefully) over the neck of carboy. The rate of expansion of the neck will be different from the rate of expansion of the bristles and you might find that the brush will come out relatively easily.

If that is a glass carboy, I don't think you should be pouring boiling water into it. There have been several stories on here where people were using hot tap water and the carboy shattered.

Perhaps you could secure the carboy in a vice and use a comealong to pull it out? Assuming the carboy is plastic...

Perhaps you could secure the carboy in a vice and use a comealong to pull it out? Assuming the carboy is plastic...

Sheeesh why didn't you just tell him to use the winch on his 4x4.

I would do just as Grapeman said in his post and turn it counter clockwise if your south of the equator as you pull out.

lol...Ok so strong friend didn't work, hard yank didn't work, used combination of soap and twisting and 30 min later it was out!!! Yeah time for a new wine! Thanks guys!
Kim

Back