Other Brewers best ciders

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmmii

Reaction score
Keep seeing these lately, has anyone tried any? Good? Bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

JUST FOR THE ADVENTURE OF TRYING I BOUGHT TWO KITS,CHERRY CIDER AND OF COURSE APPLE.:bTHE PROBLEM STARTED WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS "EVERY THING YOU NEED IS IN THIS KIT" NOT TRUE AND THE FIRST THING YOU REALIZE IS THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE IN THE BAG? YOU HAVE TO OPEN THE BAG ,NP BIG DEAL UNTIL YOU REALIZE YOU'VE OPENED UP THE LIQUID SIDE OF THE PACKAGE AND THERE IS A SEALED INNER SIDE WITH WHAT YOU NEED TO PROCEED.SO YOU DON'T GET A CHANCE TO READ WHAT YOU NEED TO DO UNTIL YOU DO IT ,NOT TO MUCH PLANNING AND I'M NOT USE TO THAT.I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT WAS MY STARTING SG AND SOME OTHER IMPORTANT FACTS BEFORE I STARTED,AND THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE ITEMS I NEED TO FINISH THIS PRODUCT WITH,THIS KIT IS CONFUSING FROM THE START.I SUGGEST IF YOU WANT TO TRY AND I WILL ASK ALL THE QUESTIONS YOU CAN AT THE POINT OF SALE ESPECIALLY WANT YOUR GOING TO NEED TO COMPLETE IT WITH.I COULD GO ON BUT YOU GET THE IDEA I WASN'T HAPPY AT ALL WITH THE PRODUCT.:slp

I've asked two home brew stores and neither have any first hand experience with them yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Joe this is important info that you have provided. But do you HAVE to use all CAPS? Your posts are (IMO) so DIFFICULT to read.

Steve

JUST FOR THE ADVENTURE OF TRYING I BOUGHT TWO KITS,CHERRY CIDER AND OF COURSE APPLE.:bTHE PROBLEM STARTED WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS "EVERY THING YOU NEED IS IN THIS KIT" NOT TRUE AND THE FIRST THING YOU REALIZE IS THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE IN THE BAG? YOU HAVE TO OPEN THE BAG ,NP BIG DEAL UNTIL YOU REALIZE YOU'VE OPENED UP THE LIQUID SIDE OF THE PACKAGE AND THERE IS A SEALED INNER SIDE WITH WHAT YOU NEED TO PROCEED.SO YOU DON'T GET A CHANCE TO READ WHAT YOU NEED TO DO UNTIL YOU DO IT ,NOT TO MUCH PLANNING AND I'M NOT USE TO THAT.I WANTED TO KNOW WHAT WAS MY STARTING SG AND SOME OTHER IMPORTANT FACTS BEFORE I STARTED,AND THAT DOES NOT INCLUDE THE ITEMS I NEED TO FINISH THIS PRODUCT WITH,THIS KIT IS CONFUSING FROM THE START.I SUGGEST IF YOU WANT TO TRY AND I WILL ASK ALL THE QUESTIONS YOU CAN AT THE POINT OF SALE ESPECIALLY WANT YOUR GOING TO NEED TO COMPLETE IT WITH.I COULD GO ON BUT YOU GET THE IDEA I WASN'T HAPPY AT ALL WITH THE PRODUCT.:slp

brewers ciders

let me make what I stated above clearer, this can be a fun kit and I will try two,however,the instructions are not clear and the packaging info is far from what's written. When I ask 2 different suppliers they agreed and the mfg. is aware.

Last edited:
brewers kits

thanks for the heads up I'll post in a week the starting of the two kits I have cherry and apple cider..:wy

Hi Joe -- We are a winemaking and brewing store and have made a couple of the kits in house. I agree, the instructions are tricky and yes --- there are additional ingredients (sugar) that is needed.

We carry the Mangrove Jack kits. My understanding from our rep is that LD Carlson purchased private label rights to the Mangrove Jack kits. I gather they are the same.

I would change out the yeast to Pasteur Champagne. Be sure to aerate thoroughly before pitching the yeast and again should you detect a hint of SO2. If you have some yeast nutrient on hand I would include that.

The resulting cider is somewhat bland. We needed to add back a touch of malic acid post fermentation.

Stephanie D
Design2Brew
http://design2brew.com

brewers ciders

OKAY ,when you stated the taste was bland, your referring to the finish product so that if I made ,say the apple cider a fpac could enhance the end product is that correct ?if so I can prepare for that, what was your starting sg and your potential abv. These are important factors I intend to use simple syrup equivalent volume of the dextrose and did you concern your self with the ph? is that even important to the end product?...............:u

Back