Bottling Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froggieogreen

Junior
Reaction score
Hullo all! While my husband has made many batches of beer, cider, and mead, we've never made wine, and our first try was... interrupted. Everything was going well (I think) until the final step - waiting to bottle. It's a long story, but in a nutshell, there was a hurricane, insulation issues, water, and we ended up with holes drilled in all our downstairs walls, and no walls upstairs. That happened two days after the "bottle by date" along with our wine kit (we'd waited a coupe extra days because it hadn't clarified). Things got a bit out of hand, and the wine was 100% forgotten until last week when I realized that it's been sitting in the carboy for almost 2 extra months. Is this alright? Any suggestions as to whether we should just proceed with bottling, or is there anything we should do (additions) to salvage something we may have wrecked would be welcome. Thanks! :)

As long as you had an airlock and not too much headspace, you should be fine -- most people here age in a carboy much longer than that. Maybe add 1/4 tsp KMeta before bottling (if it's a 6 gallon batch). Other than that you should be fine.

Ok from the information you have given.. it's had the finings added and the sorbate/meta..and just been left alone and is still under airlock?

it should be ok to bottle....taste it..

and welcome to the forum!

Allie

I agree with the above posters. If anything your wine will only be better for waiting. I would add 1/4 tsp of k-meta and proceed with bottling. Sorry to hear about your misadventures. Hope things are getting better now. Welcome to our forum and please keep us posted.

Thanks for the fast response, guys!

Yes, the airlock is still on, and there isn't much headspace in the carboy. As far as looks go, the wine looks fine in that it's still clear - I'll give it a taste tomorrow. As per recommendations, we'll add some KMeta as well. I'll update with how it turned out! Thanks so much for your help with this - I was having a hard time finding info this specific anywhere else, but it seems this forum is a trove of knowledge.

Yep, everyone here is helpful, or just plain opinionated. :p But sounds like your misfortune just kept you from drinking that wine. Alittle age will make it so much better. I hope it tastes great!

Oh, you mean John. Oops! LOL! used a name. And you're not excluded, dear.

Think about it,

There is only one sigificant difference between wine in a bottle and wine in a carboy. That is the cork and the micro oxidation that may occur.

Taste the wine. If it tastes good, then bottle. If not, then toss it. Life is too damn short to drink bad wine.

Ok, I seriously do have a welches and cherry aging.I like it to so :p nah. But I don't fit into any of your requirements. LOL! I don't care Its good, I'm a 'barefoot hillbilly' and proud of it!:r:r:r FYI It goes great with the greatest hits of Lynyrd Skynyrd!

Ok, I seriously do have a welches and cherry aging.I like it to so :p nah. But I don't fit into any of your requirements. LOL! I don't care Its good, I'm a 'barefoot hillbilly' and proud of it!:r:r:r FYI It goes great with the greatest hits of Lynyrd Skynyrd!

Gimme three steps toward the door.

LOL! Ya think we'd get along then, or are you trying to sell tickets to something?

Latest posts

Back