WineXpert Winexpert Moscato Aging Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How'd it end up for ya? Gonna fire up my 1st Moscato this fall :cool: . Plan to use D47.
The Moscato was a hit. Nice aroma, the color was nice and clear, and the taste was nice. The peach and orange citrus flavors came through for us. Definitely sweet. I will be making this later for summer 2023 drinking. I am not a 'sweet' wine drinker, but this was a nice change for a glass or two. The younger crowd however, drank it up!

The Moscato was a hit. Nice aroma, the color was nice and clear, and the taste was nice. The peach and orange citrus flavors came through for us. Definitely sweet. I will be making this later for summer 2023 drinking. I am not a 'sweet' wine drinker, but this was a nice change for a glass or two. The younger crowd however, drank it up!
So is there a "flavor pak" to add post stabilization that adds the sweetness? Thinking about making mine dry.

Last edited:
So is there a "flavor pak" to add post stabilization that adds the sweetness? Thinking about making mine dry.
I knew this batch would be more for 20-30 somethings, so I sweetened mine. I'm glad I did as I took some other wines (sweetened) and that is what everyone went for. A Tropical Lime (Lime/Coconut flavor which is really good), a Raspberry Zinfandel, and an Exotic Fruit (Raspberry, Mango/Green Apple/Blueberry mix). That said, I'd like to try the Moscato dry, I think it would be nice and you have a good thought there Bmd. Perhaps just adding 25% of the flavor pack would fight off any 'bitterness' the kit might bring. That said, I understand the kit taste is really in the Reds (bitterness which mellows over time) and not the whites.

I think if I made it again, I would mix it up a bit. Perhaps rack off 5 bottles dry, then add a little flavor pak to 5-10 bottles (25% I would convert the ounces to a percentage), and the rest sweetened up with about 50% of the remaining flavor pak so I wouldn't over sweeten it. That would be a nice comparison.

Success on crafting your batch up. I think you'll enjoy it.

The Moscato was a hit. Nice aroma, the color was nice and clear, and the taste was nice. The peach and orange citrus flavors came through for us. Definitely sweet. I will be making this later for summer 2023 drinking. I am not a 'sweet' wine drinker, but this was a nice change for a glass or two. The younger crowd however, drank i

You'll probably find the wine acidic without at least a bit of backsweetening. Don't make a decision before you taste the wine after bulk aging.
Agreed! Will sample and decide. The MV kit I bought didn't come with any backsweeting pack. IF I decide to back sweeten - would ya just use white sugar?

Cheers!

any idea what your SG was AFTER backsweetening?

My starting SG was right around 1.090 after adding extra sugar and white raisins.

Latest posts

Back