Bottling farts...how do I prevent it?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agdodge4x4

Reaction score
I am slowly going through some of my strawberry that is about a year old. It is sweetened to about 1015 after stabilization. At bottling it tastes pretty good. After a month, it tastes pretty good. After about 6 months to a year, it tastes like someone farted in a bottle. However, if you pour it and let it sit a second, its not too bad. It seems to dissipate as it sits in the fridge. However, i would really rather prevent it in the first place. I know I had a heck of a time during fermentation keeping it out and I know strawberries are notorious for this.

What's the trick? I tried making sure I had yeast starter and plenty of it. I also made sure I stirred it twice daily or more if I was able.

Anything else I can do???

Describe the "fart" smell.. Is it rotten eggs, skunky smelling, burnt rubber, etc..

Did you add yeast nutrient in?

What type of yeast did you use?

How much and often did you add k-meta in?

Eggs smell. Added kmeta every couple or three months. At bottling I added two campdens.

Can't recall yeast. Probably Montrachet but possibly cotes des Blancs.

You might have added too much k-meta in - every couple months is excessive.

I like to add during bulk aging about 1/8 tsp to 6 gallons every 4 months.

K-meta used improperly can cause the egg smell you are experiencing and why it goes away when you air it out.

Next time try to allow more time and less k-meta. You can also buy an SO2 tester so you know for sure how much SO2 you have..

What is the appropriate amount of so2 that I should have at different stages?

40 - 60 PPM i think is what you want to stay within.

Unless you are doing MLF - I am not sure what the PPM should be on that.

Thanks! About to have a test kit on order. I've made enough wine that I'm ready to get away from a little guesswork.

Another possible way to alleviate the problem is to use some copper to react w/the SO2. I keep about a yard or so of residential wiring...stripped off the insulation (& sterilized) and let it hang/swish in the carboy. You can also use it to stir in a freshly uncorked bottle.
It's been years since I needed to do this, but it does help after-the-fact.

Latest posts

Back