Bottled Tomato Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kramnuko

Reaction score
After 10 months on the carboy I bottled the wine. The taste is unique high citrus with a great finish. Maybe be a bit like a sauterne. Very dry. Anyone else make this?

I made a red tomato wine 2yrs ago, didn't like it so I put it into 4L jugs & sealed them. After reading your post I need to open one & try it & hopefully bottle the rest. I have done this with other wines we weren't crazy about, just put them in a jug, screw tight & seal with wax. Then deal with them in a yr or 2. Only one I ever trashed was a watermelon wine, didn't like the smell, taste was so so. roy

FTC Wines said:
I made a red tomato wine 2yrs ago, didn't like it so I put it into 4L jugs & sealed them. After reading your post I need to open one & try it & hopefully bottle the rest. I have done this with other wines we weren't crazy about, just put them in a jug, screw tight & seal with wax. Then deal with them in a yr or 2. Only one I ever trashed was a watermelon wine, didn't like the smell, taste was so so. roy

How did the tomato taste? Have you tried it?min seems to have mellowed but still very acidic.

I wanted to do a red tomato wine but it didn't happen. My husband kept taking them into work so I never had enough.Maybe next year!!

I have heard that tomato wine is best made from green tomatos. I've never made either. Anyone have any comments on this. I understand it has a Chardonnay taste to it.

tomatoes are for salads and blts....might as well make wine from the dreaded beets...omg...i hate beets.
I understand making wine from various fruits...but what I call a vegetable...
turnip green wine, asparagus wine, brussel sprout wine....
I dont think so... not for me...
good luck

I have heard that tomato wine is best made from green tomatos. I've never made either. Anyone have any comments on this. I understand it has a Chardonnay taste to it.

I tried to make a green tomato wine, but it smelled so horrendous in primary that I dumped it.. Was 2-3 gallon batch

:s

A friend of mine had a neighbor who would make tomato wine and drink it by the gallon. One day she offered me some, and being game I gave it a try. It was gawdawful. I don't even think it was completely finished fermenting as it still had just a touch of fizz, a hot alcohol burn, and it tasted like......green tomatoes. Bleck. I'm convinced that she was drinking it purely for effect.

I could see it being nice with Mediterranean spices and used for cooking or dressings for food.

I understand making wine from various fruits...

Tomatoes are a fruit. ;)

I just made a batch less than a month ago and tried my gravity sample, and liked it very much. My recipe called for a significant amount of apple juice concentrate, so it definitely has some apple-ness that is very noticeable, helps balance the tomato/tartness.

OK, sorry I'm so slow in replying, time got away from me!! Kramnuko & others, we finally got around to tasting our 2.5 yr old red Tomato wine last night with a freshly caught fish dinner. It was pretty good! I'm not a big white wine drinker, & had negative impressions BEFORE I opened the bottle! It had a dark Chardonnay color, pretty good mouth feel, taste was a cross between a Rhine wine & non descript white wine, ( remember I don't drink whites), no acidic taste. Wife liked it. No longer have the big garden & source for free tomatoes so will not make it again, but would if we had a bumper crop of tomatoes. Roy

I'm bumping this to the top so that I can find it later this year; it just might be worth a try ~

Latest posts

Back