Bottle shock?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roblloyd

Reaction score
Does SP get bottle shock? My wife is throwing my a bday party on saturday. I just added the sugar today and was thinking of bottling it for the party. Would it be ready or does it need to sit and recover from bottle shock?

Get one of these things, fill it with Skeeter Pee and add a few ice bombs (plastic water bottles sealed and frozen) to chill it. Give the girls some nice looking lemonade glasses with a lemon slice in it. Tell them they can't go home till it's gone. Start the video camera.
misc_holder.jpg

I have one of those bit I was thinking 1.5l bottles might be better. Someone already requested cotton candy Martinis. I have a cotton candy machine so that will be easy.
I added 7 cups invert sugar but it still seems dry? Sg is 1.06, is that dry for sp?

Get one of these things, fill it with Skeeter Pee and add a few ice bombs (plastic water bottles sealed and frozen) to chill it. Give the girls some nice looking lemonade glasses with a lemon slice in it. Tell them they can't go home till it's gone. Start the video camera.
misc_holder.jpg

That's a good one Lon!:):):)

I have one of those bit I was thinking 1.5l bottles might be better. Someone already requested cotton candy Martinis. I have a cotton candy machine so that will be easy.
I added 7 cups invert sugar but it still seems dry? Sg is 1.06, is that dry for sp?

Do you mean 1.006? At 1.06....that's probably the equivalent of chewing on some sugar! :)

Anyway, at 1.006, that's probably too dry. I'm not an expert on this, but I just sweetened my first SP last night, and I think it was sitting around 1.020 ish. I'll do a final SG reading when I bottle. Although, I'm sure everyone has their own tastes, and maybe 1.006 isn't dry for you.

I will check it again and see. I didn't want to overdo it. I did seem dry but I wasn't sure. How much more should I add? 2 cups?

Just checked - it's around 1.03 (not 06)

Last edited:
In a 6 gal batch, I used 6.5 cups to get from .995 to 1.015 which my wife and I thought was good but not so sweet as to loss the wine aspect of the beverage.

Thanks everyone. I think I will leave it where it is and get some bottles cleaned! 1.5l should be good for a party. Need to make some labels now (still 2 other batches unlabeled but I'm not serving those).

Just put what you think you will consume in bottles with tasters corks and you shouldnt have bottle shock.

Just put what you think you will consume in bottles with tasters corks and you shouldnt have bottle shock.

How would you know? You've never made the stuff!! :)

Good idea. Can you turn them on the side without any worries? I don't have a lot of fridge space for uprights right now.

Might cork anyway so they see how "professional" this is! :D

Yes you can turn them on their sides if they are decent tasters corks and are tight. I have a bottle of whiskey on its side 3/4 full in my cellar for a few weeks now.

Yes you can turn them on their sides if they are decent tasters corks and are tight. I have a bottle of whiskey on its side 3/4 full in my cellar for a few weeks now.

I got them from the place near you. Those looked decent. I used some on the port I bottled but wasn't sure if I could turn them on the side. Besides leaking, is there a test to see if they are tight? Does tapping them in count as tight?

If they are snug to fit in then they should be good for short term storage such as this. Put a paper towel underneath just in case cause Ive never used hers.

I vacuum degassed so I think I should be ok. But thanks for the warning!
Amazing how fast that works over tearing your arm from your shoulder.

Got a label idea I will work on once I get Photoshop installed on the new pc.

Back