Bottle rant (sort of)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The never ending saga of bottles and label removal! It's funny every one has their own little twist where to buy and how to remove labels. I used to get the bottles from our local Vendemmia Festival, 50 cases for free but the label removal process was a pain. So now my brother and I along with our Wine Guild make a deal with our local wine store to buy 100 cases of new bottles for 9.50 per case. That my friend is the best way to go if you have the ability to buy with others and play let's make a deal.

In Maine everything goes to a redemption center with a .15
cent deposit on them. Last time buy I got them for .19 cents
each. Rossi gal - 1.50 ml any size.

Bill

I bought all mine New, shipped to my door, When Midwest or northern or someone has free shipping I just buy like 20 cases..

Wow-- I hope my LHBS doesn't find out those exorbitant prices you pay!! He always has 2 cases for $20!! :)

screw top bottles

I have a lot of bottles given to me. I have not used any of the ones that had screw tops. Can they be used with corks? What size? Can you buy new screw tops that fit? I bought a pkg. of plastic screw tops and a pkg. of metal screw tops and neither fit.

At the local wine shop they sell for $12 a case, but at a winery just across the state line they are $8 a case. What I get from friends and family are free , sort of

I have a lot of bottles given to me. I have not used any of the ones that had screw tops. Can they be used with corks? What size? Can you buy new screw tops that fit? I bought a pkg. of plastic screw tops and a pkg. of metal screw tops and neither fit.

Well, at least you got a bunch of bottles. However, in answer to your question about screw tops:

Short answer: No, don't use screw tops.
Long answer: See http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f83/dont-cork-screwcaps-photo-37761/

If you have to buy, consider searching for a glass wholesaler in your area. I found one (Waterloo Container) less than two hours away from me who sells 'transition' bottles (when they have them) for <$6/case and standard bottles for <$9/case (might even have been <$8). They also carry carboys. They also deal with bottle packaging so I was able to get 2-bottle cardboard carriers which the wife decorated and we used for gift boxes.

After making wine for 3 years now bottles show up at the door. I have 50 cases of empties. I tell all the friends who save for me "If they're not rinsed you don't get a full bottle!" So if anyone in NW OH needs a few cases your welcome to come get some.

Latest posts

Back