Bottle carbing wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
I'm thinking of bottle carbonating part of a batch of skeeter pee. I have a few plastic bottles I was thinking of using. Can I back sweeten the batch like I normally would with out the stabilizer, wait till the bottles are firm and put them in the refrigerator to stop the fermentation?

Not really...

Bottle carbination requires a specific amount (in grams) of sugar per bottle, to create a certain amount of atmospheres (pressure of our atmosphere X however many times)..

Different types of bottles hold different amounts of 'atmospheres' before they catastrophically fail (bottle bomb) - and some bottles arent used because they cant hold anything more than corking pressure; bottles are left upright for 1-3 days after corking, to help balance this pressure before the bottles are laid down

I would do a little more research on the process (Djrockinsteve has a nice write-up in the Tutorial section) & make sure you're using the right bottles/corks/wire cork holders

Or get a kegging system, and take most of the math/scare out of it :)
(Theres nothing like a traditional champagne though !)

I'm not seeing any thing Djrockinsteve wrote up in the tutorial section. Let me simplify the question. If I back sweeten the wine to say 1.01, bottle it in plastic beer bottles, and put it in the refrigerator when I see fit, will the fermentation stop so I don't need to worry about bottle bombs, unless they warm up again?

for beer, its 5 oz of sugar to 5 gallons to prime for carbonation. so one oz per gallon for a rule of thumb.
Funny you should ask, at the moment working a dragon fruit shiraz that we plan on force carbonating in a corny keg then bottling.

I was gonna do this. Then I said SCREW it for skeeter pee its too much work! I degassed, cleared, stabilized (sorbate/sulfite) and then bottled in 2 liter soda bottles and used the beer bomb method:

7 grams dry ice to 1 2 liter bottle, cap well and shake until the ice disappears.

People freak out about it exploding in your hand, but in my experimentation, which was very extensive, the new brand name soda bottles (shaped longer and pointier) would not explode, just blow their caps. And the old ones would explode, but it took close to 1/4 cup dry ice to create the necessary pressure. Either way 7 - 10 grams well shaken has never had any adverse effect on my kitchen. Not Yet. (Knock on wood)

I was gonna do this. Then I said SCREW it for skeeter pee its too much work! I degassed, cleared, stabilized (sorbate/sulfite) and then bottled in 2 liter soda bottles and used the beer bomb method:

7 grams dry ice to 1 2 liter bottle, cap well and shake until the ice disappears.

People freak out about it exploding in your hand, but in my experimentation, which was very extensive, the new brand name soda bottles (shaped longer and pointier) would not explode, just blow their caps. And the old ones would explode, but it took close to 1/4 cup dry ice to create the necessary pressure. Either way 7 - 10 grams well shaken has never had any adverse effect on my kitchen. Not Yet. (Knock on wood)

Do you like carbonated skeeper pee better? Also I was planning on filtering through a 1 micron filter. Will I have enough yeast left to get it to ferment if it's filtered?

Juggernaut said:
Do you like carbonated skeeper pee better? Also I was planning on filtering through a 1 micron filter. Will I have enough yeast left to get it to ferment if it's filtered?

I could funnel an entire 5 gallon carboy of carbonated skeeter pee if I had a catheter. It is the nectar of the Gods! You think regular SP is good? Carbonation takes it up about 50 notches for me. 1 micron filter? That's not my area of expertise. I never filter.

I cold crash and if that doesn't do it ill hit it with bentonite and sparkeloid. I can read news print and shine a flashlight beam through it when I stabilize it. Then I back sweeten with simple syrup and fresh lemons and it goes to crap. But it tastes better than the pretty clear stuff I was making before, and I haven't had a bottle bomb yet. :shrug:

The beer guys are big into filtering and most of them say 1 micron will still leave a yeast sediment at the bottom. So I guess that'd be enough to bottle carb. You could always add a few grains of champagne dry yeast extract to be sure, premier couvee works great for bottle carbing.

Last edited:
Is it true that carbonated wine will only be good for a month or so? A guy at my local brewing supply store said that carbonated wine will get a metallic taste in about a month.

Juggernaut said:
Is it true that carbonated wine will only be good for a month or so? A guy at my local brewing supply store said that carbonated wine will get a metallic taste in about a month.

No. In fact some Champagne is aged for years and is fabulous if you like that kind of thing. A little too dry for me.

Last edited:
Still wondering if a Sodasteam would work to carbonate, then quickly transfer back to bottle and cork or just leave in the plastic bottle and be done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Still wondering if a Sodasteam would work to carbonate, then quickly transfer back to bottle and cork or just leave in the plastic bottle and be done.

Yes. Works best to carbonate it then chill it before transferring to a bottle. It keeps more of the co2 dissolved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think if you ferment it dry then there shouldn't really be any trick to this at all, just do it like you would beer. But if it is sweet already I wouldn't risk carbing it- there are still other ways of getting it bubbly though, carbonating with dry ice and such. I won't tell you how, because I'm not familiar enough with it but I'll bet a google search would get you all you need to know about it.

Back