Borolo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaniJ323

Reaction score
My boyfriend and I went to a wine tasting for our wine club and they had a Borolo. I'd never had it before. It was fabulous! I know they have this in kits and I've decided to make it my next red. I've always done WE kits.... But was thinking of trying an RJ Spagnols. What brand and product line would you guys recommend for the boldest and best Borolo?

Another convert. Anyone ever tasted Barolo and not liked it. Wade or CPfan would be the ones to ask, but allas they will show up at any moment because it is what they do.

Finevinewines (Wine Makers Toy Store), which advertises on our forum, sales several Barolo kits from Mosti Mondiale.
They are very popular kits. They have to age awhile.
Buy the ultra-premium kits in this wine.

That wine needs bulk aging. It's a big, bold wine if aged properly.
I made one from juice 2-3 years ago. I bulked it for 13 months and then bottled. still not had any yet as it will taste better in years to come.
Try a "good" Amarone. Price starts @ $50 for one thats only 4 yrs old. Thats the min before they release it (4 yrs)

Silly question....how can I tell which is the ultra premium? I'm not familiar with this brand.

Silly question....how can I tell which is the ultra premium? I'm not familiar with this brand.

That's not a silly question. Typically, kit makers have different lines of kits based on quality and price range. Basically, ultra-premiums are the top-of-the-line, more expensive kits. The exception is there also is a Limited Edition (LE) line, which is not always available. The LE kits are also at the top of the cost chart for that kit maker.

If you want the best kit, buy an LE or an ultra-premium kit.

For example, Mosti Mondiale (MM) has the Meglioli limited edition line, which is very expensive but only available during certain months. MM also has the ultra-premium "Masters All Juice" line of kits, which is available all the time and are very expensive.

When I want a really nice kit, I first check out the limited edition kits, then I go to the ultra-premium. (I like this forum because I know I am going to get some argument on this! :d )

And yes, an Amarone is a very popular and very nice Italian, too. I have an Amarone in bulk aging right now... I'll taste it Christmas.

Thanks robie...
I've found it. Ouch, $150! But if it's good wine
It's worth every cent :0)

I agree that ultra premium kits are the best .. but they are also ultra expensive and not in everyone's budget. A good value kit by Spagnols would be the Grand Cru International Barolo - it's 12 liters of juice plus a grape skin pack and makes a very good wine.
Spagnols doesn't make an ultra premium Barolo but they have a premium Barolo in both Cellar Classic and Cru Select and these would make an excellent wine.
WineExpert has an ultra premium Barolo in their Selection Estate series ( I have this in a carboy now) which is an excellent kit; not sure about Vineco or MM kits.

Dugger is also very right. It really is "all a matter of opinion", and his opinion is as valid as mine.

Me, if I have to wait 2 years before I drink it, might as well wait for the best I can possibly afford. However, at a given time, a person can come up with $100 but maybe not $150. Some of those MM Meglioli kits last year were over $200!

Something to consider, a $100 kit of 30 bottles translates into about $3.33 per bottle, less other expenses;
A $150 kit to $5.00 per bottle.

One thing I have heard experienced home wine makers say is that if a wine is left to age at least a couple of years, even the inexpensive kit wines turn out really great.

Thats why I make so much. When I make a Amarone or Borolo I "hide the 30 bottles. I never miss them. Today I just saw a Amarone I "saved" from 2005 bottled in 2006.
Now to hide that again...
BTW I stopped counting cases once I hit 120.....:dg

The Mosti Masters or Meglioli is by far the best for the Barolo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I usually use RJ Spagnols and they make it decent but nobody elses kits can touch the Mosti high end Barolo. This wine IMo is better then most commercial wines period, I usually give a range here but I havnet had a commercial Barolo that came close to the Meglioli. The Masters kits are very close to the Meglioli's.

Danij if you call George at fine vine wines and tell him what your looking for he will guide you in the direction you want to go. He loves phone calls and let him know we suggested you call. If you do buy from him make sure you order everything you need. His shipping is reasonable but it costs very little to keep adding things on.

WOW! 120 cases!

You know, I have never made a Barolo. I don't want to make a wine I haven't tasted. Every time I try to buy a commercial bottle, so I can finally get a taste, I see the $80 or more price tag and back off.

My wife thinks I make too many Italian wines already, so I can't justify another one unless the taste is great. I know everyone says it tastes great.

I read an article that said to never buy a barolo that is less than 10 years old. Then after you buy it, don't open it for another 10 to 12 years.

Maybe this winter I'll get a nice Barolo kit.

WOW! 120 cases!

You know, I have never made a Barolo. I don't want to make a wine I haven't tasted. Every time I try to buy a commercial bottle, so I can finally get a taste, I see the $80 or more price tag and back off.

My wife thinks I make too many Italian wines already, so I can't justify another one unless the taste is great. I know everyone says it tastes great.

I read an article that said to never buy a barolo that is less than 10 years old. Then after you buy it, don't open it for another 10 to 12 years.

Maybe this winter I'll get a nice Barolo kit.

Ask Wade. You really dont want to know what I have, make or drink... LOL !

If I do buy a Barolo kit, it will definitely by the Meglioli, if they will still have it this season.
Have any of you seen this season's meglioli line up? I am looking forward to it.

Depending on where you live you should try the Italian Borolo JUICE if you can get a hold of it.

Not yet. I have never bought one of these kits either, just was given a bottle of each of these Barolos by the former administrator of FineVineWines as he was a good friend.

Back