RJ Spagnols Blueberry Shiraz Surprise?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trashy

Reaction score
OK, so all our friends wanted more of the horribly sweet Blueberry Shiraz kits. So we had some workers come over tonight and I directed. Unfortunately as I was directing I sort of lost track and added the following things into the first of two primary fermenters:

water
bentonite
invert sugar
blueberry sugar packet
more water
yeast nutrient
yeast

See anything wrong with that list?

smiley19.gif

trashy said:
OK, so all our friends wanted more of the horribly sweet Blueberry Shiraz kits. So we had some workers come over tonight and I directed. Unfortunately as I was directing I sort of lost track and added the following things into the first of two primary fermenters:

water

bentonite

invert sugar

blueberry sugar packet

more water

yeast nutrient

yeast

See anything wrong with that list?

smiley19.gif

Trashy, I don't make these mist style kits but it seems to me that the "F-Pack", or sweetening pack, is normally added after fermentation is complete and the wine's been stabilized. If you added during the primary you'll still have a blueberry style Shiraz, just a dry one. You'll have to back sweeten later when the sweet pack should have been added.

Rule G said:
Trashy, I don't make these mist style kits but it seems to me that the "F-Pack", or sweetening pack, is normally added after fermentation is complete and the wine's been stabilized. If you added during the primary you'll still have a blueberry style Shiraz, just a dry one. You'll have to back sweeten later when the sweet pack should have been added.

Bingo! I added the blueberry syrup pack when it should have been done on day 14. But I'm not sure backsweetening will be necessary since we also added five pounds of invert sugar. If it comes out less sweet than previous batches, and with more alcohol content, *I* personally will be happy but my friends probably won't like it as much.

Time will tell *sigh*

Even though the finishing blend or sweetening blend pack does contain sorbate (which will prevent fermentation in the proper amounts) I have used 2/3 of one in the makeup of a kit without issues.

Since we added the extra invert sugar and also 3 tsp of yeast nutrient, do you think that will offset the sorbate?

This is not the first time this has been reported to me. I have yet to have any of these not ferment properly. The big issue is sweetness on the end. If it is dry, add 1-2 pounds of sugar to sweeten it back.

The question I have is what was the starting SG. With the juice and the sugar and then the f-pack,did you get a sg reading to help determine the alcohol content. I am pretty sure it will be OK, just maybe a bit high on the ABV which will kind of hide the blueberry. Let us know if the ferment begins OK.

Howdy everyone! (yes, Trashy has a sockpuppet for a wife)

Sounds like this may be the perfect wine! Shiraz with a bit of blueberry flavor and doesn't taste like watery blueberry syrup. Seems to be happily bubbling in its little bucket this morning. Starting SG was 1.27 as compared with the other kit at 1.092.

I was a little worried about the group taking this batch off our hands....they may have to wrest it from my death grip!
smiley3.gif

I have 2 different hydrometers and neither of them go up that high, could you possibly mean 1.127 or do you really have a hydrometer that goes that high? Anyone know what yeast this kit comes with? At 1.127 and if it goes down to .996 you will have a abv of 17 1/2. If it goes all the way down to .990 you will have 18 1/2.

With that much alcohol it will probably have to be sweetened to be drinkable. If, however, it stops fermenting at about 1.015 - 1.025 I'll bet your friends will be quite happy with it.

Welcome, sockpuppet. SWMBO says hello.

Welcome sockpuppet.
How bout some pictures of it happily bubbling away

wade said:
I have 2 different hydrometers and neither of them go up that high, could you possibly mean 1.127 or do you really have a hydrometer that goes that high? Anyone know what yeast this kit comes with? At 1.127 and if it goes down to .996 you will have a abv of 17 1/2. If it goes all the way down to .990 you will have 18 1/2.

Yes, 1.127 - that was an incorrect number recorded on the form.

sockpuppet said:
Howdy everyone! (yes, Trashy has a sockpuppet for a wife)

I was a little worried about the group taking this batch off our hands....they may have to wrest it from my death grip!
smiley3.gif
Good to see you again!
smiley4.gif
Welcome to the forum!
smiley32.gif

Hi there SWMBO and PWP! Sure had a great time shop- ....er, uh, at the Winestock!
smiley4.gif

Waldo, I could take a pic of it bubbling happily, but picture this....two white buckets sitting in a white bathtub. There, ya have it! Tub nectar supreme! Yum! Yum!
smiley20.gif

I made a rassberry sharaz,useing 1/5th rass/wine to 4/5ths chiliean sharaz,quit deep in fruit yet smooth in body,also a blackberry pino noir finished very nice//

Those sound yummy! My problem is I like the idea of a fruity wine, but I don't like sweet wine very much, so those kits sound so good, but taste like watery berry syrup. Gotta find a happy medium....
smiley29.gif
</font>

these are not kits I'am refferring to,these are seperate wines ,rassberry and shraza,made seperately then their layered together to enjoy each ones , but together,you taste the rass up front and the sharza the rest of the way,on the blachberry ,berry up front pino noir back end quite nice,also I did a zinfindel /muscati blend with a shot of orange extract ,it 's alive and smart tasting,,thas what I'am doning crafting wine in my style and having a great time at it//

Yeah, howdy! Sounds like your wine classes are going gangbusters and you're just sponging it all in!

Getting to ride much? BTW, we have our bikes for sale on Craigslist if you know of anybody wanting to buy a nice non-Harley -- or two! Search for "Volusia" in the Dallas/Ft. Worth listings. His and hers for sale. Mine's the Black Beauty. *sigh*

Wow! Those are nice! If I know anyone wanting to trade up I'll let you know.

Sorry to see you guys are selling!

Latest posts

Back