Blueberry Recipe - Submitted for Your Approval.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UglyBhamGuy

Advanced Noob.
Reaction score
Submitting this for opinions.
I got a recipe for Blueberry Wine from my LHBS.
I will be scaling to 5 gallons using 24+lbs of fruit.

Blueberry Wine:

Here is your opportunity to make a gallon of wonderful, robust wine from Blueberries. The process is simple. And the resulting creation is quite remarkable.
For best results, follow the directions as closely as possible.

Ingredients:
4-6 lbs of Blueberries
2 & 1/2 cups Table Sugar
1 tsp Acid Blend
1/2 tsp Dry Pectic Enzyme
1 tsp Yeast Energizer
1 Campden Tablet, crushed
1 pkg Wine Yeast - Pasteur Red (preferred) or Montrachet

If making more than 1 gallon, multiply all ingredients (except yeast) by the number of gallons you are making.

DIRECTIONS:

Sanitize your equipment with B-Brite or double strength Campden solution. Do not use soap.

1. Crush the fruit put it in a sanitized food grade bucket (a crock is not recommended because of cracks in the lining harboring bacteria). Freezing and thawing the fruit helps make crushing easier. Putting the fruit into a straining bag will help later in getting it out of the wine and for you to squeeze all the juice out. Add enough water to make a soupy solution. Crush the Campden Tablet and mix it into the fruit along with the Yeast Nutrient and Pectic Enzyme. Allow for mixture to sit for 24 hours while loosely covered with the lid.

2. After 24 hours, sprinkle the yeast over the must and ferment for 5 days. No need to snap down the lid since once or twice a day, you will need to stir and punch the fruit back down into the must. Be sure the mixture is kept between 72 and 78 degrees F. for proper fermentation.

3. After 5 days squeeze out the fruit. Dissolve the sugar in warm tap water and, once cooled, add it to the fermenting bucket. Add additional water as needed to top up to a gallon. Now seal down the lid and fit with an airlock. Fill the airlock 1/2 full with water. An airlock allows gasses to escape without allowing air back into the wine. Allow wine to ferment for another week. Siphon the wine into a 1-gallon carboy, leaving the sediment behind. Let it sit for 3-4 weeks or until clear. It is normal for the wine to ferment slower now as the yeast finishes eating the sugar. Siphon into another clean container and let sit for 2-4 months to further clear. If you only have one carboy, clean and sanitize the bucket, siphon the wine into the bucket. Clean out the carboy and re-sanitize. Siphon the wine back into the carboy. Adding Super-Kleer will aid in clearing after the 2 months aging.

4. Once the wine has cleared, siphon it into the bottles for aging. Be sure not to disturb the sediment. Bottling too soon may result in broken bottles.

If you like you wine sweeter, you can sweeten it to taste just before bottling time, but you must add a stabilizer such as Potassium Sorbate at this time or fermentation may occur again in the bottles.

While you can drink your wine at bottling time, please realize that wine noticeably improves with age.

Well, that's it.
Like i said, i do plan to scale to 5 gallons with 24+lbs of blueberries.
i will probably f-pack with frozen blueberries from the grocery as they usually taste sweeter than fresh, but that is a while down the road. We'll burn that bridge when we come to it. LOL.

Anything i should do different?
What SG should i shoot for?
For real, constructively, tear this thing apart. That's a lot of PICKED blueberries.

What is the reason not to add the bulk of the sugar to the must at the get-go and just bring it up to the proper SG? Is there something about blueberries where it is better to ferment the sugar from the fruit only, remove the pulp, and then finish fermenting with the added sugar. I would imagine this makes it hard to calculate the ABV but I dont know.

i believe it is to see how much sugar you are going to garner from the blueberries as the Pectic Enzyme works on breaking them down. If i'm wrong, someone let me know.

Finally a reply, if nothing else it helps spread the knowledge. :D
i was beginning to worry with all the views and not one response.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting. If thats the case then I would probably just add all ingredients at the start and bring the SG up to your desired level. I would do this just because of simplicity. Is the energizer used instead of nutrient because the blueberries are hard to start? I wonder if the pasteur red is a common choice for blueberry too. Im asking a lot of questions too because I think I am going to try a blueberry port next month and have no experience with this.

Hey, ask away, it might be something i didn't even think to ask.
And, yes, i believe it is because blueberries are hard to get going.

:a1

Thank you for starting this.

I have 5 gal of pure blueberry juice from Walker's Fruit Basket in NY. I'm scared to death to start it. I'm going to save some back for adding at the end. I have had some AMAZING blueberry wines and some that are so pale I wouldn't have wasted the berries on it!! I know that there is benzoate? I think, that hinders fermentation. I'm hesitant, for that reason, so make a pure juice wine. I think I will at least cut it in half with water.

Keep up the questions and comments people!! I'm going to mix some with the elderberry- just picked yesterday- that I'm going to make too. THAT is a great combo!

I'll send a bottle to the person with the best advice!!

Debbie

I have 5 gal of pure blueberry juice from Walker's Fruit Basket in NY. I'm scared to death to start it. I'm going to save some back for adding at the end. I have had some AMAZING blueberry wines and some that are so pale I wouldn't have wasted the berries on it!! I know that there is benzoate? I think, that hinders fermentation. I'm hesitant, for that reason, so make a pure juice wine. I think I will at least cut it in half with water.

Keep up the questions and comments people!! I'm going to mix some with the elderberry- just picked yesterday- that I'm going to make too. THAT is a great combo!

Debbie
I have to agree with Debbie blueberry/Elderberry is an excellant combination

I plan on tackling blueberry wine in the future myself. I use nutrient & energizer on all my batches and dont see a reason why i wouldnt use both of them here - they're adding different elements.

Step 1 wants you to add the Campden Tablet & Pectic Enzyme at the same time - i'd wait 12 hours after adding the Campden tablet before adding the Pectic enzyme. The Pectic Enzyme will work better if the tablet has had some time to work.

I would probably add all the sugar up front like Calvus suggested. I would watch the SG to determine when to take the straining bag of fruit out as well, not how many days its been. I leave my straining bags in until i rack to secondary & i dont rack to secondary until 1.010-1.015 usually. I know its generally a pretty safe practice once you're under about 1.030.

If i was debbie, i'd be hesitant too but i'd probably still try the all-juice blueberry wine :) I think the secret is in the yeast starter, personally. I make my starters in sanitized 2-liter bottles.

Usually, i fill it with water a little bit above where all the different "feet" come together, then sprinkle the yeast in and let it sit for 15 minutes & stir them in.

Then i'll add some juice i removed and strained, from before i added sugar to the must - usually take out a quart of this - and i'll take out some of the must from after i added sugar - usually 1/2 - 3/4 of another quart.

I'll add, in small additions, the pre-sugar juice first, every couple hours. Then when thats all in, and the yeast are rolling good, ill start adding the post-sugar additions of juice.

Eventually the 2-liter is practically full & the yeast are going crazy. When you pour the 2-liter into the primary, if you swirl it, it drains out quicker and you'll leave less yeast on the inside of the 2-liter.

Doing my starters that way, most of my wines so far have fermented in 3-5 days. I imagine blueberry will take a little longer, but im sure it'll finish when i get to it. The birds ate all my blueberries this year :w

That is basically my plan too. Maybe next weekend I'll start both the blueberry and elderberry. I plan to blend them once finished for a few bottles. I'm going to Port the elderberry... and maybe a blue/elder combo port too. I've had them together and it was fantastic!

Debbie

Debbie

Do not water it down too much. (if any)
Maybe take out a gallon for the f-pack later and replace with water.
Use a yeast starter and add a little of the juice at a time to it, until it gets going strong, then add that to the must.
PM me for where to send my bottle.

Last edited:
I also use both energizer and nutrient on all my wines. 1 tsp per gallon of nutrient and 1/2 tsp per gallon of energizer. Blueberry and Cranberry both contain natural benzoate so the substitution of energizer is a better decision but if you have both use both. I always add all fruit and wait around 12 hours before adjusting the sg up so as to extract all or most of the sugars out of the fruit so as to not exceed my typical starting sg of 1.085 or there abouts.

I have both and will use them... along with making a roaring starter!

Debbie

Hey, ask away, it might be something i didn't even think to ask.
And, yes, i believe it is because blueberries are hard to get going.
:a1

UBG, I think I have a disaster on my hands with my first blueberry attempt.
My 2 gal batch went dormant on 8/22. It stuck at SG 1.046. I've tried several things to get it going again.
So here's where I'm at: After 60 days, I have 2 gallons of stuff that smells like vinegar, bites like vinegar and has a slight blueberry taste. According to SG calculations, it's at ~5.5% abv.
Questions:
Do I have blueberry vinegar?
Do I have really bad blueberry wine?
Is it salvageable as either vinegar, or wine?
Do I just dump it and get on with my life....?

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Please give your recipe and time line. It will help to sort out what happened and when.

My straight juice should be done by now. I usually just leave it alone. In a couple weeks everything is pretty much done. It got down to 1.020 fast and I put it under airlock. It's nice and cozy there and I'll check it this weekend.

Debbie

Please give your recipe and time line. It will help to sort out what happened and when.

My straight juice should be done by now. I usually just leave it alone. In a couple weeks everything is pretty much done. It got down to 1.020 fast and I put it under airlock. It's nice and cozy there and I'll check it this weekend.

Debbie
I'll post the recipe, but I can already hear the responses.
No acid blend
No yeast nutrients
No this, no that.....

But I've never used them before. I guess blueberries are just more finicky than other fruits.

No one will be able to answer all the questions you asked without some basic knowledge. Knowing what is and isn't in the wine helps to figure out if anything may have gone wrong.... chemical reactions and all that stuff.

Debbie

No one will be able to answer all the questions you asked without some basic knowledge. Knowing what is and isn't in the wine helps to figure out if anything may have gone wrong.... chemical reactions and all that stuff.

Debbie

Okay, here's the rundown on the blurberry:

"Recipe":
6# frozen blueberries, mashed.
1 gal water
8 cups sugar
1/4 tsp K-meta (for any wild yeast)
1 pkg Premier Red yeast

• On 7/24/11 I started a batch with 6# of frozen blueberries.
  • Placed in a straining bag in my 5 gal bucket. Poured 1 gallon of boiling water over them, and mashed them slightly. Added 1/4 tsp of K-meta.
  • I added simple syrup made from the water/juice combo in stages until the SG reached 1.080. This took 8 cups of white sugar, and raised my volume to 1.25 gallons.
  • I made a yeast starter with juice and Premier Red yeast, and added that the next day.
  • By 8/16/11, the SG had "stuck" at 1.050, so I made an yeast starter juice and Cuvee yeast, and added it. The starter was going good, but stopped working within 12 hours in the batch.
  • On 8/22/11, the SG hadn't moved from 1.050, so I took some advice and added 1/4 cup of raisins. There was a slight vinegar taste at this point. The SG dropped to 1.048 and then stayed there for the next 6 days.
  • On 8/28/11, I made a yeast starter of regular bread yeast with 1 cup of plain water. It got going well, and I added 1/4 cup of juice to the starter. The yeast slowed down within minutes, and the foaming diminished. I went ahead and added it anyway.
  • So...the SG has remained unchanged (at 1.048) since the 22nd of August, but the vinegar tang, and smell has increased. There's just a hint of berry flavor now.
  • So my question is not "what went wrong", but what to do at this point? It's my belief the acid levels in the batch killed the yeasts. Might it ever turn into usable vinegar?

Back