Blueberry Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a quick question.... My BB wine started with a SG of 1.080 @76 degrees. The recipe I am using says to ferment to 1.000. Well it is at .0996 and is still bubbling. Should I let it go until it stop and is consistent for a couple days or should I stop it now? If so how? It is very dry and is pretty nice. I plan on back sweeting it also.

Thanks

Let it go to dry. After you are sure it has finished, degassed and clear- then stabilize it with k-meta and k-sorbate and then sweeten to taste.

Hum...Just so I understand. Do I stop it now or let it go until all of the sugar is gone. Will it just quit on it's own. I love the taste. It is amazing to me how good it taste now.

Will do I will let it keep "cooking" until a two day stable reading. You can't believe how stoked I am about this wine. It is going to be something very special after I back sweeten and age it.

Thanks for the help

Appleman is correct as trying to stop a fermentation in progress is very tough. You would have to add very high amounts of meta at a rate that is not recommended by me. Other ways are to purchase a sterile filtration unit which is very costly, the other way is to cold stabilize it by subjecting it to almost freezing temps for 1 1/2 weeks min. and then add k-meta, sorbate and filter it to get as much yeast cells out of there and that is a little risky as once warmed up it could start fermenting again.

Ok just so I understand...Just let it continue doing it's thing until it stops on it's own with consistent SG readings?

I don't know how I am going to keep from drinking it right out of the secondary it is that good now. hahahaha

Yes let it go until it is done fermenting and has a consistent SG for 3 or 4 days.

I know... It will be very nice. I really like how dry it is so I am going to go easy on the back sweeting. I want to keep it all blueberry so I am trying to figure how to make some BB concentrate. I honestly can't believe how fortunate I have been so far on my first all fruit, non-kit wine. This forum has been a big help.

Big Thanks
smiley2.gif

If you want to make a BB concentrate then you could get more BB and juice them then reduce the juice on the stove with Med. high heta like making a chicken stock. You could do the same by buying Wyman;s wild blueberry juice and reducing. I usually take 2 64 oz. containers and reduce them till they are about 1/2 of 1 container.

FTW:

If you've already removed your fruit sock you're doing just fine. If you hav'nt yet, you need to remove it now (remove sock at 1.020 to 1.030).

Once you hit 0.000 you're good. What's going on nowis mearly the remainder of the yeast lees on the bottomstill working down there. Racking your must againwill reduce the activity somwhat moreand allow you to move on with your process.

Bear in mind that when ever you add additional sugar, as in "BB Concentrate" above, and back sweetening, you need to allow the must to sit still under air bung for at least a couple days in case you get any renewed fermentation (the home wine maker can't possibly remove all the yeast from their must no matter how many rackings you do).

Again, as always, I stress tasting as you add stuff.
Adding BB Concentrate will increase your sugar level as well as adding sugarso be sure you add the concentrate BEFORE you back sweeten or you'll end up higher on thesugar level than you may have planned.

Handyman

Latest posts

Back