Blends

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbrown

Reaction score
When a company makes a wine kit that is a blend of two wines, is there a way to determine what the percentages are in that kit or are they usually a 50/50 blend?

Thanks, in advance, for the replies:?

BB, unless you can find out from the company I don't think there is a way to determine the mix. I would not assume that it is 50-50. It really could be almost any mix and it could vary from producer to producer.

Last edited:
K...that's pretty much what I was thinking but it never hurts to ask people who have been doing this for a lot longer than I have....thanks for the prompt reply...

I think that the ratio may even vary from batch to batch. The kit companies are aiming for consistency and may vary the exact proportions to meet their goals.

Steve

I'd be willing to bet that most wine kits are blends of various grapes. They strive for consistency, and one way to get that is to blend juices until the final outcome is what they want.

Even batches from the same commercial winery will vary year-to-year and some vary from vineyard location to vineyard location (eg. grapes from the northern plots vs. grapes from the western plots).

Kit makers don't want that...

DoctorCAD, you got me thinking (and believe me, that's not easy). By US code, a commercial bottle of wine may be identified as a varietal (e.g. Cabernet Sauvignon, Zinfandel, Merlot, etc.) if at least 75% of the grapes that went into the wine were of that variety and the other 25% can be anything else. I wonder if there is a code for wine kits, buckets, etc. When we buy a Zinfandel kit, are we getting 100% Zinfandel juice or just "at least" 75% Zinfandel juice? :ft

I agree, the blend will change every year. When I make up a blend it is not by specific amounts but based on sugar, color, and flavor to match the previous years. The color content and flavor changes from year to year on grapes due to many factors including weather.

I'd be willing to bet that most wine kits are blends of various grapes. They strive for consistency, and one way to get that is to blend juices until the final outcome is what they want.
Kit makers don't want that...
George and I had this exact conversation today and he said not even to assume that all the juice came form the same vintage.

Latest posts

Back