Blackraspberry and Elderberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumlinridgewinery

Reaction score
ok I went thought the recipe section and didn't see what I was looking for. I made a 6 gal batch of wild black raspberry and have enough frozen to make at least 3 gal more(18lbs). We did a lot of walking fencelines. I also have enough elderberries in the freezer from last year for 2-3 gal. Not sure of pounds right now. But they are coming on and if short I am sure I can find some. Has anyone ever blended these before. I am sure it would be good. Looking for some feedback on taste if anyone has done this. I have made both before I guess I could blend in a glass also.

Thanks
Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

I haven't done a black raspberry and elderberry but I think it would be really good. Elderberry blends well with other berries.

Of course we have, its a must make, the acid from the black raspberries balances out the tannins from the elderberries, even better if you can add honey instead of sugar to raise the SG, a little oak adds a sophisticated touch to this mix. We lost a lot of blackraspberry fruiting canes to the winters cold this year but got enough for a batch, and hoping to pick some more elderberries so we can make this again this year. Blackberry and elderberry will be next. Even one more step up in my opinion is to dry the elderberries first and then use them with the black raspberries, the deeper flavor of the dried elders mixed with the thickness of the black raspberries on a little oak and backsweetened with just a touch of honey is something you are going to have to guard, age some a couple of years at least up to 5 years, it just keeps getting better. When we make this the bottles go the bottom of the back of the winerack in a vain effort to forget about them and let them age. Me and the wife had to come to an agreement that when its half gone we both need to agree to open a bottle of it. This is one you want to open during the holidays, open this up in the dark of winter to remember what summer was like, smell the cork, drink it slow and in the quiet so you have no distractions and can savor each drop, you will end up sniffing the glass to recapture that summer smell of picking berries, hearing the bees buzzing around and sneaking a berry every now and again when noone is watching. WVMJ

Back