Blackberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
I couldn't make it to the mountains during the time coinciding with the peak of the picking season so two old friends did some picking for me. Obviously they are true friends! They had picked 41 pounds when I finally arrived. We went picking again yesterday and, although the season is almost over, the three of us picked another 20 pounds. I will start steam-juicing these soon for the trip back to the flatlands. This amount is enough for 12 gallons and will be made this winter. Oaked blackberry that is sweetened a bit and aged for a year is one of all-time favorites.

Those are truly good friends to pick the berries for you! I assume you will be sending some bottles to them when it is finished!

I hope to get enough this year for 6 gallons + a f-pac. I have 24# frozen so far.

What yeast will you use? 30# per 6 gallon right?

What state are you in?

My brother lives in Oregon, and he is saying the berries arn't quite ready yet there.

Have you ever made a port with the balckberries?

First, the berries were picked in the Appalachian mountains of Virginia. Second, I have used different yeasts making blackberry wine but the best, in my opinion has been Montrachet. Thirdly, I have used the juice from 30 pounds of berries to make 6 gallon wines. Lastly, I have never made a port. I have been considering doing one but the wines I have made with steam-juiced berries and oaked have been so doggone good that I have not yet risked a port. Previously I have had some issues with bitterness with blackberries crushed and fermented. Since I have been steam-juicing I have had no issues with bitterness whatsoever.

Thats a damn good amount of blackberries, They are just starting to ripen around here but havent found that many areas where they are, Ill probably get enough for a 1 gallon batch and if i do I will do a port with Light malt added.

I picked 61 pounds by myself last year. It took weeks for my hands to heal!

I plan to start steam-juicing tomorrow.

When I return home I will steam-juice 37 pounds of plumbs and 23 pounds of cherries. Next up for picking, elderberries and apples.

The blackberries grow wild in abandoned farm fields on the mountainsides. Their only cost is a lot of hard work, sweat and blood. The cherries were picked from a neighbor's tree in the mountains--she is in her 80's and no longer cares for them. The plums are a gift from a neighbor who lives in Tidewater Virginia and just happens to enjoy my wines. I gave them a few bottles last year from some pears they grew. They liked the wine so much they brought me 2 boxes of plums this year. As to the elderberries they grow wild in the mountains also. I have never made a wine using them. In fact, although I was born and raised in these mountains, I never knew what an elderberry was until this year!

smokegrub, I am a newbie here. i was wondering what exactly is steam juicing? Thanks Troy

Hmmm...this looks like a great idea. One question, where can we get the steaming set-up?

Do a search on steam juicers. I have a Mehu Liisa juicer and they have almost doubled in price since I got mine a few years ago. Back to Basics has one also. Just make sure you get a stainless steal juicer.
VC

Smokey, steam juiced blackberry with steam juiced elderberry, is good stuff. Crackedcork

Smokegrub said:
As to the elderberries they grow wild in the mountains also. I have never made a wine using them. In fact, although I was born and raised in these mountains, I never knew what an elderberry was until this year!

I concur with the recommendation to get a stainless steel model. I also have the Muhu Liisa.

Last year my juice yield was 1 quart per 2 pounds berries. I just finished juicing this year's berries and got 20 percent less juice. Surprising that the yield varied by that much.

Latest posts

Back