Black Current

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little update, started fermentation just a bit yesterday by the time I got home from work. Today is alot better. Close to 1/4" of foam on top. Stirred must per instructions and checked SG. 1.086. Temp is staying about 74* without the brew belt.

20080416_142744_100_0693_Small.jpg

72 hours at this time.

Yes, it smells very good. Kind of nice to stir it up a little bit as I can lick the spoon after. It tastes really good.
smiley14.gif

It has really started going since yesterday. The temp has climbed from 74* to 77* since yesterday also. SG yesterday was 1.086 and today it is at 1.070. Hard to tell the exact SG because the foam is so thick. Here is another picture from today as well.

20080417_163710_100_0694_Small.jpg

I like my Black Currant wines. I use 2 cans and 2 bottles of the WE red concentrate. I also add 2 pounds of raisins. I have found that they take a while to get started unless you make a very vigorous starter. I added some powdered tannin to my last batch and topped with a little bit (I know, I know - not an exact measurement) of honey. I also fortify my Black Currant with Everclear and Brandy. Makes topping up easy and adds some punch. Can't drink it too soon tho or the Everclear/Brandy just numb the mouth.

Thanks Coaster for a different spin on the recipe that I'm using. Yours sounds like it could really pack a punch. I'm new to this so I'm sticking with the standard stuff. Maybe someday.

The must really went since yesterday. Temp increased to 80* and the SG dropped to 1.040. Instructions say to rack at that SG. Got everything sanitized and got ready to rack. Double checked SG. Right at 1.040. Racked it into a 5 gal. carboy and 1 small container. The airlock is going nonstop. Instructions say to top up, so should I add the small container or wait for a few days to top up. I don't want to overflow the carboy. Should I be using a smaller bottle?

Racking in progress:

20080418_183526_100_0696_Small.jpg

Finished racking:

20080418_183813_100_0698_Small.jpg

I dont top up until fermentation is almost done or has just finished.
Edited by: wade

Thanks NW and Wade. The instructions say 3-4 weeks to reach a SG between 1.010 and 1.000. Seems like a long time. Temp is staying up at 78*. So far so good.

Got home from work today and fermentation had slowed considerably. Got everything sanitized and checked SG. Down to .992, Oh No! The instructions on the can say 3-4 weeks, must mean 3-4 days. Should have known better. Anyway, racked into the fermenter again, sanitized my only 5 gal. carboy, added 5 crushed campden tablets and racked back into carboy and topped up with about a cup of water. Now it says to let sit for 2-3 months again to clear. Do I have to keep the temp in the 70-80* range for this? Arrrgh!

Did you degas? This will help it clear. After degassing you could add SuperKleer and it will be ready to rack into clean vessel in 2 weeks and then you could bulk age at whatever temp you want. Or you can sweeten or not sweeten depending on your preference and bottle it. At this point its whatever you want but i would degas it now and then you dont have to worry about temps unless you are going to use a fining agent.

I didn't degas it either. If I understand you Wade, I can just degas it now and put in the basement with airlock for a couple of months. I have the oak also but am not sure when to try that( purchased 3 different kinds of oak spirals). If I just degas, I don't need to add SuperKleer. I would have to order some. I'm getting confused here a little bit.

I think I would degas and then add super kleer. Super kleer acts very fast. It should be clear in a day or so. I would then add oak for at least a month, taste it and if it is what you like. I would rack it off the oak and bulk age it. We'll see what the experts think.

Just to be clear, It will usually look clear in a day or so but it will drop very fine sediment for a few more days, let it sit for a week or 2 to let the less compact a bit so you can rack off them safely without disturbing it.

Been degassing for the last hour, my hand is ready to fall off. MityVac works real good. It will hold about 9" of vacuum so far, I think I have a ways to go. Thanks Barney and Wade, I'll see if that little store has some SuperKleer. If it does, I'll add it tomorrow evening. If not, I'll order some from George.

Get yourself a few extra packets of this to have around as you will love it.

Picked up some SuperKleer this afternoon. Finished degassing last nite, holds 16-17" of vacuum. The MityVac made a believer out of me. Works real slick. Here is a picture from this evening before I added the SuperKleer. It has cleared quite a bit from last nite.

20080422_160916_100_0699_Small.jpg

Back