Black Current

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moose

Reaction score
With the sale going on, we decided to order some of the items on our wish list. Among those was the Vintner's Harvest Black Current fruit base. Ordered up 3 cans. Just to let the resident wine makers knowthat there will be a new wave of questions from me when this shows up and we start our next new project. Can't wait!

This is a fantastic wine and you will not be disappointed in the product. Beware of the sulfite instructions as they are a little confusing and over sulfiting is the end result to the point where you will have problems getting the wine to start fermenting. Did you order or do you have acid blend on hand? These instructions that are confusing sometimes are when using powdered sulfite instead of campden so read it a few times and if in dought ask us or use campden tablets.

The Balck Currant makes a very nice wine moose. I will be starting another batch soon myself with a varation. I am going to try a Black Currant/Elderberry blend.

Are you going to make a very large batch moose? 3 cans for a 6 gallon batch is going to be very strong. 1 can can be used for a good wine. I used 2 cans and it turned out plenty stong(extreme flavors). It is a bit too powerful for my tastes and I mix it with other wines to drink. I mixed with a cherry wine I made and that is a good mixture-half and half.

We loved our batch too......We used 1 can of the fruit base and 2 bottles of WinExpert Red Grape Concentrate in a batch..it was very nice.

Will do it the same way next time.

We were going to use 2 cans for a 6 gal. batch and use the 3rd for back sweetening( something else I have never done). But, I may change it now to the 1 can and use your suggestions which sound very good. I included acid blend in my order and also campden tablets. Wasn't sure of which yeast to order so I opted for the 71B-1122.

I would do 1 1/2 cans of this to 6 gallons and save the rest for back sweetening. A lot of the other Vintners Harvest do require 2 full cans to 6 gallons though.

How about 2 cans in 6 gallons and then backsweeten with Ribena black currant concentrate, you can find it at any Brit grocer and even Asian grocery stores. Crackedcork

We are going to use Northern Winos recipe:

My recipe was...
1 can VH Black Currant fruit Base
2 bottles WinExpert Red Grape Concentrate
9 1/2# sugar [maybe try 81/2# and work from there]
5 campden tablets
4 tsp Acid Blend
3 tsp liquid tannin

Thought my S.G. was a little high at 1.100... Had 5 gallons at his point, didn't want to dilute it too much more...added 2 quarts more water brought it to 1.090...was happy with the wine.

2 1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
5 tsp yeast nutrient
3 tsp yeast energizer
EC-1118 yeast

When we start this tomorrow, we add everything but the yeast nutrient, yeast energizer and yeast? These will be added the next day? Then, we basically follow the instructions on the can for SG, racking times and everything else?

Thanks Northern Winos.
smiley1.gif

Moose.....When we start this tomorrow, we add everything but the yeast
nutrient, yeast energizer and yeast? These will be added the next day?
Then, we basically follow the instructions on the can for SG, racking
times and everything else?

Moose....Yes....You add the other stuff on the 2nd day...as well as oak...which I forgot to mention. Rack and age as you usually do.

Enjoy!

Edited by: Northern Winos

Any certain type of oak that you would recommend? I would have to see if they have any at the little store in Virginia or I might have to order some.

Thanks

I'll give that store a call in the morning to see if they have that type. If not, I will order it from George along with a floor corker. Thanks Wade

You will not regret buying the floor corker, get the Italian or the Portuguese!

Another question, do I need to use a straining bag with the VH Black Currant or is it just liquid?
smiley24.gif

You won't need a straining bag...just pour it in.

I used just ordinary American Oak and roasted it in a dry fry pan on the stove...It really get a nice aroma in the house when you roast/toast it.

Will someday move up to the imported oaks and compare.

This is my 162 post, of which 160 were questions. For my next question, when do you add the oak and for how long? Thanks

If you buy chips or dust you will most likely want to add them right in the beginning or right after transferring them to carboy. Cubes, beans or spirals, I would add them after the wine is clear and off the lees. There are only a few Vintners harvest bases that dont contain fruits and this is 1 of them so if you are going to keep trying them you will want to get a bag.

Decided just to order some oak cubes, different kinds. This way, I will still be able to start my new wine project today.

Latest posts

Back