Black Current

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks good before you added the super kleer. You will be amazed at how fast the SK works. As wade said leave it for a couple of weeks and let it settle. It's going to be a good one Moose!!

Oh you are going to like that one! I can taste it from here
smiley4.gif

Waiting for my hour to be up so I can add the 2nd part( chitosan ). Trying to catch up on all the posts that I haven't read. It sure smells good. Put the brew belt on as the temp was down to 68*.

I have never waited the hour and have never had any trouble what so ever. This is something that they have changed with their instructions and I have ignored it with no problems at all, I am in no means saying for you to do this though.

It has really cleared well since I added the SuperKleer. Been 24 hrs only. I'll post a picture tomorrow evening. Next time, I'll probably skip the hour also. I still have 1 can left, what to do, what to do? Been following the post on back sweetening also to go with this. Going to let this sit for a couple of weeks at 70-80*. Will also pick up another 5 gal. carboy to save time so I don't have to rack as many times.

Are you going to oak yours Moose? It is my personal, most humble opinion that an American Oak, Medium toast really does well with the Black Currant

Yes sir Waldo I was going to put oak in it. I bought 3 different kinds from George and that happens to be 1 of them. Hannabarn suggested that I leave it in for approximately 1 month. Have never done this before so it's a new learning experience. On the package, it is suggested that you use 1 stick for 3 gal( I purchased spirals and 2 to a pack ), use them both then for 5 Gal?

The SuperKleer has been working for approx. 44 hrs. Has settled out very well.

20080424_135409_100_0701_Small.jpg

I would use both spirals moose but would recommend you begin tasting after 2-3 weeks.

Thanks Waldo, I will let it clear for 2 weeks and then rack to another carboy. I will add the oak when I put it down in the basement to let it age. Probably for a couple of months. Looking forward to start tasting it. When you backsweeten, for example if you have a SG of .996, you would add sugar solution to bring it up to 1.000? I'm going to have to experiment a bit.

You bring the SG up to where you like the taste and thats a personel preference thing.

It will be 2 weeks tomorrow since I added the SuperKleer. The recipe calls for 2 1/2 tsp. of potassium sorbate to stabilize. Do I add k-meta or campden tablets at this time again or wait( just added 5 crushed tablet on 4-21)? I want to try to backsweeten a little, add my American Oak Medium Toast spirals and put it down in the basement for 3 months.

You have enough S02 in there that you do not need any at this moment. I would add another 1/4 tsp after 3 months bulk aging though. K-meta is the same thing as Campden tablets.

Thanks Wade. I'm looking forward to the oak and backsweetening part. We will both taste it tomorrow to make sure that's what we want to do. I still have 1 can of the fruit base on the shelf.

Racked the wine this evening. Made up a sugar solution to backsweeten with. Added the sorbate also. When I started, the SG was at 0.992 and I ended up at 1.002. My wife liked the taste, so stopped there. Put in the 2 oak spirals and tied them with dental floss so I can get them out easy. I will start taste testing in 2 weeks and plan to age it for 3 months. Here is a picture of what turned out. Is the carboy topped up enough for the time being and should I try to find a smaller bottle for the topping up wine?

20080507_191758_100_0716_Small.jpg

I would fill the carboy up to 2" below the bung and either find a 187 ml. bottle for the rest or just drink it.

Sounds like a good plan, top the carboy off and drink the rest of it.
smiley4.gif

Looking mighty fine there moose.
smiley20.gif
you are going to love it oaked !!

Thanks Waldo. I am looking forward to a couple of weeks to start tasting it and find out how the oak changes the taste. I had half a glass tonite after I filled the carboy and thought it was very good.

Back