Black choke cherry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannabarn

Reaction score
Wow! I haven't been on this forum for so long, I'll never catch up. I have been monitoring the progress of NW and Swill and have been keeping you in my prayers. I spent the summer cutting splitting 12 cords of wood so I am now ready for winter. That's the way it is in the north country, you spend all summer getting ready for winter.
I also have picked about 30# of black choke cherries and would like to find a recipe for choke cherry wine.
Also have picked about 10# of blackberries so back to the wine making.
I had to race the bear for the choke cherries. Twice the bear was on oneside of the tree and me on the other! Score: Bear2----Me 0! Now I take a dog with me!!
I know we hate to hear it but fall is in the air and the leaves are starting to change!
smiley7.gif

Nice to see you back....

Thank you for the concern and prayers...means a lot.

You must be in really good shape to put up that much firewood...You must also have a really big house or a hungry furnace.We get by with about 14-18 pickup loads [short box]...depends on how much out door cooking Jim does in the Cowboy Campfire Cafe.....Usually there is some wood left over each year. He has brought most of it home from the woods...i would like to get a few more loads [just incase it's a brutal winter]...plenty of dead oaks around.

Glad you got the Chokecherries and Blackberries...and didn't get attacked doing so.

We like dry red wine...
This is a pretty standard recipe that I use.....
I steam extract the juice, but you could use any method of getting out the juice...or use a straining bag.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~CHOKECHERRY WINE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

8-10 QUARTS JUICE = 22# STEAMED EXTRACTED CHOKECHERRIES
2 BOTTLES WINEXPERT RED GRAPE CONCENTRATE
7 1/2# to 9# SUGAR [S.G. 1.085]
6 1/2 CAMPDEN TABLETS
3 tsp LIQUID TANNIN
4 tsp ACID BLEND
2 oz AMERICAN OAK CHIPS [TOASTED]
2 VANILLA BEANS

S.G. 1.085 water to 6 1/2 gallons

Next day:
3 tsp PECTIC ENZYME
3 tsp YEAST ENERGIZER
6 tsp YEAST NUTRIENT
LALVIN RC-212 YEAST

Keep us Posted on your winemaking....
smiley4.gif

Glad to see you back Barney. Is that face cords or full cords? Either way, that's quite a bit of wood! I wish I had a wood furnace about now. I'm not looking forward to winter. Every year they say to cut back the thermostat a few degrees. I have done it so many years that I can't set it back any further. It only goes down to 50 degrees!
smiley36.gif

I hear ya here Appleman!!! Ill be taking off the coat to go outside1
smiley36.gif

smiley20.gif
Thanks NW. That is about what I was looking for. I don't have a steam extractor so I will use strainer bag method. That is 12 full cords of wood but it is for 2 houses! We have another 12 full cords that my son is cutting into lengths for the outdoor wood burner that we use to heat heat the dog kennel and the pole barn! That is my son's job as he is the one who owns and trains the dogs. That usually uses 24 full cords for the winter. Luckily the hunt club he manages is owned by a logging company.
I went to the doctor today for a routine 6 month check up and his advice was "keep cutting wood"!
smiley32.gif

Glad to see you back hana.......You could almost get that much wood from fallen trees around here in about a 4 block area. Huge old oaks, gave it up to the saturated ground.

I hate seeing trees when they get up rooted from wind storms....so sad....So many years of growth, beauty and habitat...then down. You never really know the size of a tree till it's on the ground.

Now, cutting down a tree for firewood is a different story...that's fun.

Hannabarn, you sure burn a lot of wood, but your area of the country has lots of trees to spare.

I hate seeing devastation of trees like Waldo is experiencing. All of the trees I cut on our property were dead oaks. The trees that came from the logger were standing dead smooth bark hickory. ( beechnut) I will send some pics soon I hope. My computer has been invaded by a spyware called MS Antivirus. I'm having a bad time with it as it pops up every minute or so! Does anyone else have any experience with it? I understand it is hard to eliminate and can cause the computer to crash. Scary!!!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/remove-ms-antivirus

This site may help you out but I would STRONGLYrecommend you call Microsofttech support and have them refer you to a site or solution.
<DIV id=ms__id93>
<DIV id=ms__id94>I have seen this type of message pop up while browsing, but seeing its not my program telling me this warning, I dont even click the X icon to close it.... I restart my comp immediatelyand scan using my program.
<DIV id=ms__id103>Paraniod? Yes. I have good reason to be
smiley7.gif
<DIV id=ms__id108>
<DIV id=ms__id109>
<DIV id=ms__id47>
<DIV id=ms__id69> This virus yo haveshould pretty much fixable for free orunder $60.
<DIV id=ms__id72>If you ever get a "you've been infected" warning and its not from your program your using... its a trap.Immediately restart or unplug your comp. Its better to loose a little unsaved data than end up with a cluster$%#@ of problems. Make shure you have the latest updatesfor the program you have and do a scan.
<DIV id=ms__id71>
<DIV id=ms__id73> I do a update every time I first start my comp for the day becouse i defiantly do not want to go threw a money pit again when 4 computers at are old house got infected and died.1was not even hooked up to the net. Also I would password/ parental controlprotect your comp so other people cant hop on and go to certain sites that are, well you get the idea. Hope this helps
smiley1.gif
Edited by: Aaronh

If you Google "ms antivirus removal" you will find the Microsoft page that has complete instructions. I have had to do this here at work for a couple of people. The procedure takes about 15 minutes. MS's instructions are very detailed.

smiley20.gif
I thank you guys from the bottom of my heart!! I successfully deleted the MS Antivirus using the bleeping computer site. I am also going to print the instructions from the microsoft site. Thanks alot. I was really worried that my computer was going to crash. There is much more to this forum than wine. Just plain good ole people!!!
smiley31.gif

MS Antivirus is pretty benign. It scares you into thinking you have viruses. Then when you run it it tells you that you have to pay for the "full version" to remove the fake viruses. It's a phishing scam.

I use to see a 'Pop-Up' saying that too....I just ignored it and it went away on it's own.

I have MS update every night about 1AM and run the Anti-Virus every night at 3 AM.

Now I mostly use FireFox...

Use Chrome to UpLoad photos to this Site and to WalMart 1 hour Photo as it does those chores best.

I Up Graded to MN Internet Explorer 8.....Jim uses that one as he has his own Sites and passwords there.

So...we are both happy.....
smiley4.gif

smiley36.gif
I guess I'm computer illiterate. When I was young, mercurochrome was the wonder drug. Our radio was run with a large battery and a wire running all over the house to pick up a signal. Once in awhile we could get a Chicago station. Technology goes so rapidly that this old mind can't comprehend!! One good thing came out of this MS Antivirus thing. My computer really got an enema and it runs much faster. I actually like it again.. Now I'll se if I can post some pics of my wood cutting efforts.

I just have to know Barney, where do you apply the enema to in a computer?
smiley36.gif

These things can be aggravating, but they do make things a lot easier for doing a lot of things.

Not to change the subject
smiley36.gif
but heres a three gal batch of choke cherry for ya...first, not last of the year. And since Waldo has been leaving those
20080910_181010_sept08_010_Smal.jpg
subtle subtle little hints about pictures, and I havent posted in awhile, Heres a five gal batch of Choc Rasp Wild Grape Port Style I also have going.

20080910_181409_sept08_011_Smal.jpg

Life Is Good here in Southern Minnesota as well!Edited by: JWMINNESOTA

smiley20.gif
OOOH!! That choke cherry wine looks delicious. I can't wait to get started!!!

What recipe do you use for that choke cherry wine. I have one from NW that I am going to start soon! I'd like to try yours also!

Back