Bizarre Sunflower

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a Sunflower so big with so many flowers on it as the one I have below?
smiley5.gif
This thing measures almost 11 feet tall and I count about 50 open flowers on it. There are probably 200-300 flower buds to open so far. If it keeps this up, I may have to have my garden checked for raioactive fallout
smiley34.gif

This has not been PhotoShopped. It's the real thing. Is it unique, unusual or what?
smiley3.gif

20060907_140158_sunflower1.jpg

20060907_140227_sunflower2.jpg

Sorry about the glare from this one, but it shows more heads.

No, but not far from the former Plattsburgh Air Force Base. Used to be a SAC base with Nukes underground. Maybe they left a few as souveniers.
smiley36.gif

Maybe that's what the strange green glow is in the second picture. I thought the sun was just too bright.

Maybe you should uproot them sunflowers and grow a vineyard there. A couple of vines in that soil and youll need more carboys!
smiley36.gif

That's a good one...let it seed out and have a field of them next year. I have seen muti-headed sunflowers, but didn't know they got that big....think the florists use those muti-headed ones in arrangments....
smiley1.gif

Hey, you might be able to get a gallon of must out of 1 or two grapes.
smiley8.gif

Edited by: wadewade

There already is a couple heads of seed forming- probably about 2 pounds of seed per head. Let's see now, 250 heads at 2 pounds apiece- that'll be about 500 pounds of seeds. I wonder what kind of wine sunflower seeds make- maybe a beer instead!
smiley23.gif
That would be about enough seed to plant a few acres. Maybe I could sell the seeds and buy a few more kits of the good stuff! You can't really see it in those pictures, but I have a six foot steel fencpost next to it to hold it up. I had tried an old rake handle to try for a stake , but it broke that off. The trunk- can't really call it a stem- is about six inches across. Several side branches broke off the bottom and they were about 2 inches across and about six to seven feet long themselves.
smiley24.gif

The birds will be so happy!! That is an awsome plant and didn't you say that the birds must have dropped it.. They know what they are doing. Dropping it in your good garden soil.!!!
Ramona

That is one heckuva sunflower Appleman..I think I am going to have to go with wadewade here. Jerk them suckas outa there and get some vines a growing
smiley36.gif

Waldo and Wade- I did consider putting grapes in that spot, but it could lead to some problems.
1) Vines have tendrils and grow quite long. This could lead to problems. The garden is only 100 feet or so from the house and even closer to the office. I'm afraid it might come looking for food and grab someone in it's tendrils.

2) Pruning- how do you keep a monster plant pruned to it's confines. The vines would probably need to be trimmed with a chansaw(although I could sell firewood). Lopping shears just wouldn't cut it(pun intended).

3)Harvest would require a front end loader or forklift- I don't have either.

4)My press basket is only about 15 inches across- I would have to press each grape individually- could be very time consuming.

5)I would flood the market with grape juice for wine and destroy the world economy.

On second thought, I better just feed the birds!
smiley24.gif

Sunflower update-

So far over 150 flowers have opened up on this "Baby" The bees were working the flowers like crazy this AM when I took the pictures. I'm hoping this season lasts long enough to get a fair amount of seeds. Anybody interested in a few seeds for next year?
I'm putting a picure in here that shows the steel t-stake trying to support this monster for all the people who doubt it's authenticity.

20060920_054707_100_2647_Small.JPG

20060920_054849_100_2649_Small.JPG

20060920_054917_100_2650_Small.JPG

20060920_054951_100_2651_Small.JPG

Edited by: appleman

Ramona,
The flowers average 4-7 inches across- some smaller, some bigger. The heads at the top that flowerd first keep getting bigger and are about 6 or 7 inches across and full of seeds. If picked at the right time, a cluster could make a nice vase centerpiece.

Oops... forgot the pictures.

20060920_071117_100_2653_Small.JPG

20060920_071149_100_2654_Small.JPG

Had to stop while taking the pictures and chase away 11 turkeys. I can see they are going to be a real PITA in a couple years with the grapes.
smiley35.gif
Maybe the coyotes will keep them in check.Edited by: appleman

Sounds like the ideal thing for Thanksgiving dinner
smiley15.gif
! Wild turkey breast is the best!

Latest posts

Back