Mosti Mondiale bitter taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capecodbob

Junior
Reaction score
Doing my 1st batch of wine. White Bourg Royal Blanc.
Doing my 2nd rack where ya add all the chemicals. Tasted the wine and it was rather bitter. Should it taste this way? (tasted before the chems added and stirred)
Bob

Doing my 1st batch of wine. White Bourg Royal Blanc.
Doing my 2nd rack where ya add all the chemicals. Tasted the wine and it was rather bitter. Should it taste this way? (tasted before the chems added and stirred)
Bob

Should be OK, let it age a little.

Also you can test the sulphur and TA.

Welcome aboard!

I would do an acid test and/or ph reading - it might be higher the expected.

Thanks,
I'll try the suggestions. I've followed the instructions to the letter.
But I am retracing my steps along with the instructions and I seem to be all ok. The ONLY problem might be the way I cleaned and sanitized the equipment. I found no exact way to do this with the instructions that came with the kit. So, I cleaned, then sanitized. Maybe I should have cleaned (then rinsed with water) then sanitized (rinsed with water again). I'm looking at any possible mis-step that one could make.
I noticed the videos I watched don't follow exactly the way the instructions tell you...so I followed the instructions.
Bob

Thanks,
I'll try the suggestions. I've followed the instructions to the letter.
But I am retracing my steps along with the instructions and I seem to be all ok. The ONLY problem might be the way I cleaned and sanitized the equipment. I found no exact way to do this with the instructions that came with the kit. So, I cleaned, then sanitized. Maybe I should have cleaned (then rinsed with water) then sanitized (rinsed with water again). I'm looking at any possible mis-step that one could make.
I noticed the videos I watched don't follow exactly the way the instructions tell you...so I followed the instructions.
Bob

No, you leave it wet with sanitizer, you don't wash out the sanitizer with water.

By bitter do you mean acidic?

Let it ride, It is way to soon to start fixing taste. My Experience with Blancs is they dont taste good right away. I almost poured out a Sav Blanc and it now taste fabulous. In ^ months you can still adjust ph if it doesn't get better.

Let it ride, It is way to soon to start fixing taste. My Experience with Blancs is they dont taste good right away. I almost poured out a Sav Blanc and it now taste fabulous. In ^ months you can still adjust ph if it doesn't get better.

Don't go by pH alone, as different acids taste different but can have the same pH, for example two common acids in wine, malic acid and lactic acid, malic acid is much stronger taste wise than lactic acid.

But yeah, give it at least a few months, then retaste.

Last edited:

Yeah i have to agree - i have a Seyval Blanc that was bitter at first - it has starting turning better after a few months. I will let this age until june - and try it again.

Thanks again for all the replies.
GOOD NEWS!

Tried a small sample of the wine tonight and...
it tastes like WINE!!!:db :r :h

Big sigh of relief here!!!!
Bob

Taste perception is partly determined by genetics

These differences in perception depend to some extent on the kind of foods we become accustomed to during childhood. However, there is more to taste than meets the eye (or tongue!). Scientists think that much of taste perception is genetically determined.We first noticed something was amiss about a fortnight ago when my nine-year-old daughter, Flora, bought a new £39 iPod shuffle with her pocket money, and I treated myself to an iPhone 4.

Latest posts

Back