Cellar Craft Big enough primary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keahunter

Reaction score
I'm home for a "snow day" and decided that I would start my CC Showcase Amarone. I opened the box and looked at the instructions and it states that I should have an 8 gallon primary. The primary that I've been using is only a 6.5 gallon. Do I have to go buy another primary?

I had a similar situation to yours and bought a 7.9gal. Without the grape skins you may just make it, but I think they will put you over and like Paul mentioned, you will need room to stir.

Thanks...after thinking about it, and looking at other threads, I think I'm going to buy a 10 gallon brute. Do you think I could drill that for a spigot? I like racking from a spigot...i find it easier to deal with the lees.

Kea, I have a 20 gallon Brute that I drilled for a spigot (I think it was a 1/2" hole but check that). One tip, hold a sacrificial backer board on the inside to keep the drill bit from wandering on you. I used a spade drill bit for mine but I suppose you could use a twist drill bit if you have one.

The WE kits I make say to use a 7.9 bucket
I have used the same "brew bucket" for the last 8 years which holds about 6.5ish gallons.

Latest posts

Back